Whether watching a favorite show on FireTV or reading a new ebook on Fire Tablet, millions of people worldwide use their Amazon devices for entertainment and enrichment, and this audience is growing.
The Devices Ad Products team is charged with inventing new advertising experiences across Amazon's device ecosystem to delight users while delivering results for advertisers seeking to reach this growing audience. We are a technical and friendly team who has the unique benefit of building software systems that combine data science (AI/ML), device hardware, audience data, mobile apps and desktop web experiences. Our mission is to make ads that are useful for audiences and advertisers alike.
The DAP team is looking for an experienced Software Development Manager (SDM) to lead exceptional software engineers in building sophisticated distributed systems for our next generation ad programs, and own software that generates and delivers advertisements onto Amazon devices such as Fire Tablet. You will succeed in these endeavors by combining your expertise with your ability to listen to, learn from and communicate with a diverse group of collaborators.
As a product focused team, your team will work with multiple product managers for building our campaign management systems supporting a large variety of ad experiences focused on Fire Tablet and other non-standard ad systems. Your challenge will be to not only build new systems and scale existing systems, but also to innovate and drive technology to provide new opportunities for advertisers to provide relevant, engaging ad experiences for device owners. You will be expected to drive system architecture and development through your team, make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market vs scale, and deliver code working with cross-functional teams. You'll be responsible for project management - prioritize, plan projects and features, manage partners, and track external commitments. You are someone who has mastered operational excellence and can enforce best practices for deployment, monitoring, and validation of services and pipelines.
You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and be able to cut through ambiguity and set priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive critical initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done.
As a people leader, you will be responsible for nurturing the promising careers of our engineers. You want to foster a positive, fun, and flexible environment where engineers are owners and enabled to take on complex design work to facilitate their own personal growth. You never burn your engineers out, yet you earn and keep the respect required to push down on the gas when required.
It won't be easy. The challenges that come with scale and the semi-connected nature of Amazon Devices pose interesting technical problems. These are big challenges that will move the needle for our devices and advertising program.
Join us today, and become a leader of this highly motivated, cooperative and fun-loving team!
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• Proven analytical thinking, skills in metrics creation and project management, attention to details, and exceptional organizational skills
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong communicator in both verbal and written forms and are equally adept in communicating upwards and downward
• Experience with advertising systems and the online advertising business
• Understanding of OO design patterns and programming (Java preferred)
• Strong business and technical vision
• Exceptional stakeholder relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.