Be part of the team that is building something that empowers people to be their own boss.
The Amazon Last Mile team is seeking an innovative Software Development Manager that will obsess over the safety of drivers who use Amazon's mobile delivery application for package delivery. You will be the single threaded leader for a core initiative and responsible for end-to-end business, customer experience, and product development.
Amazon's delivery app is the system that collaborates with crowd-sourced and third-party delivery partners to complete deliveries for many of Amazon's programs. Our mobile application works in concert with our advanced logistics systems and predictive analytics. These technologies allow delivery partners to onboard, schedule delivery times in advance or on demand, and be guided through their deliveries with in-app mapping, navigation, and much more.
As the Software Development Manager, you'll lead a talented and nimble team of engineers to create innovative ways to deliver software that will keep the driver safe while on road. Responsibilities include direct management of 5+ engineers, process and quality of service improvements, strategic planning, project management for software within the team, and management of resources across teams. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. The pursuit of driver safety requires creative engineering balanced with high quality and customer focus.
You will work with our product management team to develop the strategy, followed by architecture and implementation of critical safety features into our mobile and back end platform. You will also own software in all phases of the software life-cycle from architecture and design through deployment and release. You will learn about Amazon's logistics network, interact with other teams to build optimized systems, and have autonomy to deliver software which impacts multiple delivery provider programs.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Hires and develops great people
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
• Strong results orientation
• Thinks big
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• Experience with OOD and object oriented languages
• Deep hands-on technical expertise
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong business and technical vision
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation