Software Development Manager
Come build the future of Linux at Amazon with the Amazon Linux Team!
If you are an experienced Software Development Manager who is passionate about building the platform to support the world's premier cloud computing environment, then this is the job for you.
The Kernel and Operating Systems team, part of EC2 Foundational Technologies, is responsible for the design and maintenance of all of Amazon's core compute platforms, with a special focus on EC2, the Elastic Compute Cloud that is the basis for much of Amazon Web Services (AWS). We think broadly about the experiences our customers have running their services on EC2 and continually look for ways to improve performance, quality and reliability, and address new functional needs.
We're also responsible for tools associated with the performance characterization, qualification, build and deployment of our Linux platforms.
Software Development Managers work with technical leaders to refine technical direction, hire and develop the skills of the teams they lead, and own the delivery of the products and programs they're tasked with. They are equally comfortable leading small, focused project teams as well as making major direct contributions to the project. They deliver features, through their teams, with minimal direct oversight. They are also adept at recruiting and developing bar-raising talent.
The baseline individual for this role will be entirely comfortable with the Linux operating system and understand how to develop in languages such as C, C++, Python, and Java in a Linux environment. Experience with Linux package management, version control systems, automated build processes, and software unit testing are a must. An understanding of and experience in contributing to open source projects is a plus. Specific in depth knowledge of the use, design, and development of Linux operating system internals, including the kernel and hypervisor is required for this role.
This team creates the very core of the cloud, and is directly responsible for radically changing and improving the way that people use computers - come join us to have fun, and make history!
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- 5 Years of demonstrated technical leadership
- Knowledge of Linux packaging tools, processes, and distribution
- At least 5 years of industry experience focused on Linux. Proficiency in using the typical Linux toolbox of open source software and management tools.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver complex, high quality, software products with minimal guidance
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results with cross-organizational dependencies
- Experience using the typical Linux toolbox of open source software and management tools.
- Experience with Debian / Ubuntu packaging
- Experience with RPM packaging
- Skilled in at least two of C, shell, Python or Java.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science.
- 5+ years as a Development Manager
- A solid understanding of Linux networking.
- Experience working with the open source community.
- Experience with distributed systems architecture and related technologies.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top