Software Development Manager
- North Haven, CT
Do you want to change the world? Alexa and Echo are literally shaping the future of voice recognition and cloud-based content/services. Alexa is the name of the Amazon cloud service and the brain that powers Echo, the award-winning and groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. Echo connects to Alexa, to provide information, answer questions, play music, read the news, check sports scores or the weather, and more-instantly. It's hands-free, and always on. All you have to do is ask.
To achieve this, we blend of a variety of disciplines (such as NLP, data mining, machine learning, big data, semantic web, graph stores, cloud computing) in an effort to understand our customers and the things they're excited about. To complement our complex algorithms and extensive data analyses, we create elevated and inspirational mobile and web features across the entire Echo system. We use artificial intelligence, data mining and usability studies to develop new features, and we test them through hundreds of R & D experiments a year. We want to make it easy for you to search for your favorite products, discover new brands you'd like, play your favorite songs or even replenish your fridge - and much, much more!! We are also incredibly intent on solving some of the most complex computing problems to be found in industry and academia, and we get to test our solutions in the real world every day. And most importantly, we relentlessly ask: "What haven't we thought of yet?"
As a member of the Alexa Identity team, you will enable Alexa to treat people as individuals and manage the preferences and resources they have shared with Alexa. You will build the technologies that allow Alexa to deliver personalized experiences wherever they are in their day. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrable track record of technical leadership and success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to teamwork, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift quickly.
Some info about this opportunity and our team:
• Your work directly impacts the experience of Alexa customers.
• This is a highly visible role, operating with many technical leaders and product managers across Alexa - with stakeholders at all levels, including senior leadership.
• You will drive project execution, recruit, hire and develop the world's top engineering talent.
• We're looking for candidates that have acted as a technical leader and built high-performance, scalable, and robust data-driven self-adaptive systems in a complex, multi-tiered, and distributed environment.
The Software Development Manager will:
• Own development of their product end-to-end
• Provide technical direction
• Establish and execute short and long-term architectural roadmaps for the business
• Manage a development team focused on creating the complex back-end infrastructure
• Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping an extremely high bar for customer trust, performance, and availability.
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
• 2+ years experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers' best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//.
Back to top