Software Development Manager
- Arlington, VA
Passionate about building, owning and operating massively scalable systems? Experienced in building and leading teams of highly competent software engineers ranging from new graduates to seasoned seniors? Want to make a billion-dollar impact? If so, here is an opportunity tailored for you.
Who are we?
It's no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers - on time, with low cost. We, the Delivery Technology organization, build the complex software solutions that work across our vendors, warehouses and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered. Our services already handle thousands of requests per second, make business decisions impacting billions of dollars a year, integrate with a network of small and large carriers worldwide, manage business rules for millions of unique products, and improve ordering and delivery experience for millions of online shoppers. We are a fast growing business and our technical journey has only started. Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation system on the planet, using our engineering muscle as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and optimization techniques, and operate high volume, low latency, and high availability services.
What will you do?
Our team, Sort Tech, builds the technology that enables manual and automated sortation, containerization, loading and unloading processes at over 2k nodes in Amazon's worldwide transportation network - Fulfillment Centers (FCs), IXDs (Inbound Receive Centers), Sort Centers (SCs), Amazon Air Gateways and Delivery Stations (DSs). We also build visibility platforms that enable operations managers to monitor and refine their volume, staffing and building configurations to optimize their operational processes. In this role, you will work with business teams world-wide to define organization roadmaps, drive execution of technology projects, drive operational excellence initiatives and manage technology operations. As a manager, you'll need to build and lead an engineering team towards achieving a focused mission. You'll work in a high volume environment and will be required to lead not only at the strategic level, but also tactically day-to-day by diving deeply into business and technical domains.
The ideal leader for this role will be an independent thinker who makes convincing, data-driven decisions. The ideal candidate will devise clear strategy, positioning and execution priorities and will be comfortable thinking big and diving deep. They will be a pragmatic visionary who can identify opportunities and lead the team to translate them into workable, scalable technology solutions. They must be comfortable working with complex challenges, and working with engineering, product, other stakeholders internationally. They will also be an expert in building and developing high performance teams.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience leading a team of software engineers of six or more
• 3+ years of experience managing software development teams, ideally with hands-on architectural and distributed systems experience
• Experience with software development principles and application of clear methodology in SDLC
• Experience with fullstack development and delivering web applications
• 5+ years experience with object oriented development
• 7+ years of software development experience, including 5+ years as development manager
• Prior experience developing high quality, large scale consumer applications
• Experience building customer and developer facing products and services
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects
• Ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced environment
Back to top