We have exciting things going on in the AWS Enterprise Engineering organization, and we're looking for a Software Development Manager that is ready to join AWS and help us innovate on behalf of our customers.
In AWS Enterprise Engineering, we build the software, services, and infrastructure that enable Amazon services across the world to build and deliver for customers. We represent the intersection of AWS technology and the need for looking-forward engineering solutions at Amazon's scale. We're an AWS-focused, builder-centric organization, focused on using AWS technology to reshape and reinvent foundational infrastructure technologies. We build software and services that are critical to all Amazon businesses and teams globally. We succeed when Amazon builders have the underlying infrastructure services to operate at scale, worldwide.
In this role, you will directly influence the AWS technology ecosystem. You will join a growing team of technology leaders building a Tier-1 service that enables Amazon to scale out its services to meet demand. This is a service built in AWS, hosted in all Amazon regions 26 regions (and counting). While today's platform once fit the needs of Amazon, the continued exponential growth of Amazon and AWS have stretched the capabilities of the current system to unsustainable levels. You will work on a new green-field cloud architecture built to serve the needs of the future. You will collaborate with multiple teams across Amazon (storage and compute) to build services that deliver core fundamental mission critical data in a timely manner, accurately and reliably. Your services will be stress tested by the massive growth of AWS, Amazon, our Subsidiaries, as well as external customers.
We are looking for a passionate, talented, and innovative Software Development Manager who is attracted to difficult technical problems and is motivated to lead high-performing team and deliver high-performance, highly-available, and extremely scalable systems at Amazon's speed and pace. Interested? Intrigued? We would love to hear from you.
As Software Development Manager, you will:
• Lead a team to design and build cutting edge services that are at the foundation of AWS and all Amazon services, and enable you and your fellow AWS Engineers to operate safely at high speed and wide scale in multiple global regions
• Have end to end ownership of major engineering projects within the Enterprise Engineering space
• Create processes that can be leveraged to help drive efficiencies and quality
• Work closely with our internal customers to help alleviate their problems and meet their demands
• Work on new designs/solutions, bringing them from concept to launch and operations
• Create and update our infrastructure and security standards and ensure that the systems adheres these standards
• Drive operational excellence projects to drive improvements in our system test plans, quality and reliability
• Work with a wide range of technologies
• Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that will span multiple AWS services and teams
• Deep dive on existing technical issues like scale-out patterns, resilience and extensibility to provide comprehensive solutions.
• Drive high quality engineering artifacts (designs, code, tests, monitoring) and best practices that will model engineering for the team
• Make technology decisions that meet business challenges while balancing long term and short term needs.
• Work closely with multiple teams to achieve product adoption targets
• Hire and develop talents to create high-performing team
• Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
• 5+ years of Software Development experience, including hands-on development work, client-server architecture, and object-oriented design.
• 5+ years of experience leading and managing engineering teams.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent
• Strong sense of ownership, including an ability to promote operational excellence
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong program and product management skills
• Experience with AWS platforms, services, and design patterns
• Strong debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
• Exposure to massive-scaled distributed systems
• Previous experience with the following in a LINUX environment x.500 directory structures
• Understanding of Load Balancers, firewall, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, SSL/TLS certificate management, DNS, and Routing
• Hands on AWS experience with production workloads
• Understanding of NoSQL database and Directory Service Technologies (LDAP, Active Directory)
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.