Software Development Manager
- Arlington, VA
Are you passionate about solving customer problems at scale? Do you want to build and lead an innovative, agile development team to deliver software that will help customers more effectively manage and govern their cloud workloads? If you have a passion to help transform and accelerate a customer's ability to gain value from the cloud, join the AWS Solutions team!
AWS Management & Governance Solutions team helps customers quickly leverage AWS services like AWS Control Tower, AWS Systems Manager, AWS Security Hub, AWS Firewall Manager by prepackaging common configurations to help customers control, orchestrate, secure, remediate, and automate their cloud infrastructure. AWS is looking for a world class software development manager to build and lead a team focused on helping jump start customer's cloud management capabilities. You will work with product management, customers, and your software development team to deliver AWS Solutions, software assets, and build an open-source community that drives management & governance innovation on AWS.
At Amazon, we hire hands-on managers who are passionate learners, mentor each other, and motivated to take on new challenges. You will dive deep into the details on business, operations and engineering. You must be a technical, detail-oriented leader who can build and grow an engineering organization. You'll need to excel at hiring and developing strong software development engineers. You'll also need strong judgment and programming skills. In AWS, our leaders have a lot of ownership and autonomy and need to be right a lot. You will have to be obsessed with delivering the most customer-centric experience on the planet. You'll need to be able to invent and simplify which is what we do every day in Amazon. We need leaders that are able to look at problems in new ways, inventing simple solutions to complex problems.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We're committed to the growth and development of every member of AWS, and that includes our development managers. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the culture and direction of the entire Solutions org and deliver site-wide initiatives that will improve the life of all of our teams.
AWS Solutions is a growth environment - we're hiring and scaling rapidly to meet the needs of our customers. You'll have the opportunity to grow your scope of influence naturally as we scale and will have get to hire & develop other leaders along the way.
Work Life Balance
Our team puts a high value on work-live harmony. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related fields, or equivalent experience
• 8+ years of experience designing and developing solutions in distributed systems environments
• 8+ years of experience managing software development teams
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with AWS management, governance, security, and serverless services.
• Able to work in a diverse team
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a proven track record of shipping software on time
• Demonstrated creativity and judgment in developing exceptional experiences to customers
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong program and product management skills
• A track record of communicating well with executives and non-technical leaders
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top