Software Development Manager
- Herndon, VA
Are you ready to pursue some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in AWS? Do you want to have a high impact on the security of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and their customers?
Successful candidates will have experience leading teams to build scalable, customer-centric systems. You should have experience operating a service and growing your customer base to meet their needs. You will work with senior leaders, principal engineers, and security specialists to define the roadmap for a globally distributed cryptographic security service.
This role requires ownership, autonomy, and an ability to deliver results. You should be a self-starter with a bias towards independent problem solving. Clear communication and prioritization will be important as you partner with Product Management to plan, design, and deliver the best experience for millions of customers. Your passion for the potential of computing to improve people's lives, and proven experience managing complex technology projects will help you make strong business judgments. Roll up your sleeves, build an engineering team second to none, and have fun while creating significant customer value!
Your expertise is deep and broad; you start with the customer and work backwards to develop a coherent vision for services that support the flexibility and scale that customers expect from us. You have built and operated systems that support high-end business complexity and scale with simple and elegant solutions that are highly decoupled, yet operate in concert to produce customer experiences that are unique to Amazon. You will be responsible for a material piece of AWS Insights and join a select group of a people making history producing and selling infrastructure and software as a service. You will do this with an organization that is the acknowledged market leader and is regularly redefining the new normal for what is possible.
We are looking for a leader like you to grow our talented team of dedicated professionals. As a software development leader you will...
1. Lead a team of software development engineers in the design, development, test, deployment and operation of services that our customers depend on.
2. Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated engineers that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
3. Be responsible for ensuring sanity of architecture, operational excellence and quality, delivering results on time.
4. Work closely with other AWS teams to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
5. Obsess over protecting customer information
6. Mentor a large group of people with a direct handle on the pulse of each employee on your team.
7. Regularly dive into architecture, code, test plans, project plans, deployments and operations to drive excellence through your organization.
8. Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within AWS on a weekly basis.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 5+ years of experience building and leading development teams that design and deliver highly reliable and scalable systems
• 3+ years of direct people leadership experience
• Demonstrated experience in delivering software projects using Agile / Scrum methodologies
• Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering (or equivalent)
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
Verified project management skills
• Master or advanced degree
• Certified Scrum Master, Agile Certified Practitioner or similar certification
• Experience with large scale billing or e-commerce platforms including systems involving complex business logic
• Extraordinary attention to detail and organizational skills
• Experience delivering products, managing budgets and rationalizing resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top