Buckeye is a program to enable us to leverage new AWS regions and improve the efficiency and scale of our business, improve customer latency through local affinity to compute resources, and reduce blast radius in case of region failures. The Buckeye end-state architecture enables individual services to break region coupling with their interdependencies while retaining the ability to keep critical business functions within a region.
The Buckeye team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, inventive software manager to refine and drive our vision. The candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment, understands service-oriented architecture, and will help us help the business innovate quickly at scale.
As the development manager, you will have technical and product ownership of the technologies in the Buckeye program. You'll lead a nimble team of talented engineers to create innovative ways to scale while maintaining agility, quality of service, and driving down costs. Responsibilities include direct management of 4+ engineers, tactical and strategic planning, project management for software within the team, management of resources, and process & quality of service improvements. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivery. The e-Commerce business requires creative engineering balanced with high quality and customer focus.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment
• Hires and develops great people
• Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
• Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
• Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
• Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
• Strong results orientation
• Thinks big
• Experience managing teams, building processes, project management, and release schedules
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 5+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 2+ years people management experience
• Strong business and technical vision
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Master's degree in Computer Science
• Prior experience as a software developer
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.