Software Development Manager
- Vancouver, Canada
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider-from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases-to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Security is an important consideration for customers moving to the cloud, and Amazon Cognito helps customers secure some of the most critical data including credentials of the end users of their mobile or web applications. Amazon Cognito provides easy to use authentication, authorization, and user management for web and mobile apps, either directly with a user name and password, or through a third party identity provider such as Facebook, Amazon, or Google. The customer demand is increasing and we are poised to grow the team to add new functionality that will delight all our customers from the developer directly using our service APIs, to the IT administrators managing our customers' identity solutions and finally the end users logging into the customers' apps. We need brilliant engineering leaders to work with us on this new initiative and grow the team.
As a Software Development Manager, you will own the team's mission to enable AWS developers to rapidly and effortlessly build an easy to use, frictionless signin and signup experiences for their customers, providing an always-on internet scale authentication and authorization for end users with a fully featured customer identity experience with strong, adaptive protection mechanisms and access to cutting-edge techniques that help prevent, detect, mitigate and respond to today's complicated threat landscape. You will be responsible for building a high performing development team, own team goals & end-to-end development, engage stakeholders across AWS to launch features & improvements.
A successful candidate is a seasoned manager who has demonstrated the ability to hire and grow a team from scratch, can operate independently demonstrating solid judgement in face of potentially ambiguous technical problems, and successfully own and drive the roadmap of the team. Ideally, experience with security and/or distributed systems would make it easier to hit the ground running and act as a technical leader while building up the team. If this sounds like you, come join us in Seattle and help AWS write a new chapter in the cloud computing story for the industry.
Learn and Be Curious. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
Inclusion and Diversity. Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science / related field or equivalent work experience
• Proven skills designing and developing simple solutions to complex, customer challenges.
• 7+ years' experience developing software with proven record of delivery
• 3+ years' experience managing highly skilled software development teams
• Demonstrated experience recruiting software engineers when forming or growing teams
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience with managing the day-to-day activities of an engineering team using Agile/Scrum processes & knowledge of full software development life cycle best practices
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
• Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience developing or integrating federated identity solutions using SAML, OAuth, OpenID Connect, Microsoft Active Directory Federation Services or similar federation technologies.
• Understanding of web services technologies such as HTTP, WSDL, XSD, and REST.
• Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, distributed systems, and asynchronous architectures
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience in Information Security or Application Security
• 3+ years of working with large scale, distributed, systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top