Software Development Manager
- Seattle, WA
Are you inspired by building new technologies to benefit customers? Do you dream of being at the forefront of robotics and autonomous system technology? Would you enjoy working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, start-up like environment? If you answered yes to any of these then you've got to check out the Amazon Scout team.
We've been hard at work developing a new, fully-electric delivery system Amazon Scout designed to get packages to customers using autonomous delivery devices. These devices were created by Amazon, are the size of a small cooler, and roll along sidewalks at a walking pace. We developed Amazon Scout at our research and development lab in Seattle, ensuring the devices can safely and efficiently navigate around pets, pedestrians and anything else in their path.
The Amazon Scout team shares a passion for innovation using advanced technologies, a love of solving complex challenges, and a desire to impact customers in a meaningful way. We're looking for individuals who like dealing with ambiguity, solving hard, large scale problems, and working in a startup like environment. To learn more about Amazon Scout, check out our Amazon Day One Blog post here: amazon.com/scout.
As a Software Development Manager you will wear many different hats and work on multiple components of the entire system. You will also help in defining the creative vision, product requirements, and user experience for this robotics program. Working with a cross-disciplinary team of analysts, designers, hardware engineers, and researchers, you will define and drive the product from concept all the way through to production.
You should be a self-starter with a bias towards independent problem solving. Clear communication and prioritization will be important as you plan, design, and deliver the best experience for millions of customers. Your passion for the potential of using technology to improve people's lives, and your experience leading complex technology projects will help you make strong business judgments.
If you're entrepreneurial and want to build and own transformative technology-driven products, join us in making history.
As a part of this role, you will:
• Build and manage a team of Software Engineers.
• Foster career growth and a strong team culture.
• Recruit, hire, mentor, and coach technical staff.
• Interface with our internal customers to understand requirements, set priorities and communicate direction and progress.
• Own all operational metrics and support for your team's software.
• Manage the agile development process and methodology to deliver incremental value to customers.
• Help develop long-term development and business technology strategies.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in a technical field, such as computer science or engineering
• 10+ years experience developing software
• 5+ years experience managing software development teams
• 5+ years experience developing software on Java, ROS, C, and C++
• Experience leading highly-skilled software engineering teams
• Experience forming teams and recruiting software engineers
• Experience developing careers with highly-skilled software engineers
• Practical experience with software engineering best practices
• Experience with Agile software development methodologies
• Experience with system level development for hardware
• Proven track record building high-performing software development teams
• Passionate about delivering the right things for your customers at very high quality
• Experience managing service-oriented software systems
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Back to top