Software Development Manager
- Seattle, WA
Amazon ElastiCache is a massive at-scale in-memory data store powering some of the top companies around the world. At AWS, we build some of the largest distributed systems in the world and we are looking for top talent to help deliver the next best-in-class service for our customers.
We are growing our team in Seattle, WA and looking out for a leader who is passionate about solving some of the tough challenges in distributed systems, and building highly talented teams. In this role, You will be responsible for delivering foundational software to grow the business over the next decade.
You are expected to draw from a deep and broad technical expertise to mentor engineers, complete hands-on technical work and provide leadership on complex technical issues. You will manage a team of engineers and be responsible for delivering some of our most strategic technical projects, deliver large scalable systems, design new software systems at the forefront of distributed database technology and have a significant bottom-line impact on our business and competitive position.
As a Manager of Software Development in AWS, you will part of the larger technical leadership community that forms the backbone of the company, plays a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives, influences our long-term technical and business strategy, helps us hire talented team of engineers and ultimately enables us to deliver innovative new solutions rapidly.
• Hire, mentor and lead a database software development team.
• Lead design, implementation, and deployment of successful highly distributed, large scale services.
• Responsible for identifying, commissioning and leading work on complex, large-scale systems that have a major impact on the entire company.
• Actively participate in hiring talented people and assist in the career development of others both on and outside your team.
• Demonstrate high levels of creativity and right judgments, most of the time.
• Understand business context to decisions made within and across teams.
• Maintain a current understanding of industry and technology trends.
• Contribute to Amazon's Intellectual Property through patents and/or external publications.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• A Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent skills and knowledge
• At least five years' experience designing, building, shipping, and maintaining production software as an engineer
• At least two years' experience as an engineering manager
• Demonstrated success delivering multi-person technical projects
• Demonstrated experience communicating status and forward-looking plans with transparency to stakeholders, including skip-level management
• Demonstrated ability to hire, enable, coach, and promote technical staff
Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering
• Prefer a minimum of 10 years of relevant software development and engineering management experience
• A leadership position in a team delivering remarkable user experiences in industry leading products
• Work experience delivering one or more version one products, ideally in a startup setting
• Solid communication skills and ability to work well in a team are critical.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, see https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top