Software Development Manager
- Hyderabad, India
Innovating on behalf of Last Mile Delivery Service Providers
It's no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers on time, with low cost. Our Last Mile technology division builds the complex software solutions that work across our vendors, delivery stations and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered. This remains a fast growing business, and our technical journey has only started. With rapid expansion into new geographies, innovations in logistics, unique delivery models for products ranging from Fresh groceries to big-screen TV's, and growing number of shipments worldwide, we see a brand new opportunity to fundamentally change the way people get the stuff they need, and make a big impact by cutting billions of dollars of transportation costs from the ecosystem. Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal last mile transportation system on the planet.
You'll design and develop systems and applications used by Amazon worldwide and will regularly interact with engineering and business leadership. You will participate in the planning and execution of technology projects and operational excellence initiatives. You'll also manage and build a team of world class engineers in employing strong design and implementation practices. You will be participating in creating vision and influence product road-map across multiple stakeholders.
You will be expected to have an established background in building highly scalable systems and applications, great communication skills, strong people management skills and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about building good software as well as making that software achieve its operational goals. Experience with building and operating web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale, will be very applicable and helpful.
Come and see for yourself why we are one of the most admired company in the US, rated #1 in Innovation and # 1 in Customer Service, and be part of our tradition of working hard, having fun and making history!
The successful candidate will:
- Be responsible for the end to end ownership of a technology team, including setting the technical vision for developing our systems to serve Amazon's needs.
- Build and manage great software engineers and tech leaders that are responsible for developing and maintaining software that optimizes our transportation network.
- Be a champion of engineering and operational excellence: establish team metrics for measurement of engineering and operational excellence and a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement.
- Establish a consistent, project management framework and excellent development processes to deliver high quality software, in rapid iterations, for business partners in multiple geographies.
- Show strong business and technical judgment that will accelerate time to market of releases, while incrementally moving our services towards the long term vision.
- Be responsible for mentoring and developing engineers, managers and other related job roles.
- Represent the technical organization and evangelize the work to senior leadership.
- Raise the bar on technical excellence, show thought leadership, and communicate well to different audiences.
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
• A minimum of 5 years of management experience.
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant development and design experience.
• Experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
• Experience with employee development, performance management and delivering results.
• Problem-solving skills and the abilities to analyze quantitatively, scope technical requirements and effectively prioritize program deliverables.
• Presentation and written communication skills are essential, as is the ability to build partnerships with senior leaders across a variety of groups throughout Amazon.
• Proven experience establishing metrics for measurement of engineering and operational excellence.
• Proven experience in innovative business practices that have been game changing for business evolution.
Back to top