Software Development Manager
Ever wondered how Amazon offers the Earth's biggest selection and still manages to offer lower prices every day to our customers? Our retail business teams work with a massive array of vendors and business financial performance metrics to expand selection and drive costs lower. Given the rapid growth of our business, this requires our category leaders, financial analysts, site merchandisers and vendor managers to quickly analyze vendors, categories and brands, diving deep into data showing business efficiency down to the unit sale level. The technology that enables this has huge visibility and impact and is critical to Amazon's continued profitability and growth.
We're working on the future. If you are seeking an environment where you can drive innovation. If you want to apply state-of-the-art software technologies to solve real world problems. If you want the satisfaction of providing visible benefit to end-users in an iterative fast paced environment, this is your opportunity. The responsibilities of this role will be key in paving the future of Amazon Retail and transforming how we do business.
You will lead a team of creative, top-notch software developers to work hard, have fun, and make history. Software engineers at Amazon are more than just order takers; they see a problem and leverage innovative technology to address it. You will be working with very large data sets, well beyond the scalability limits of conventional relational databases. We're looking for people who innovate, love solving hard problems, and never take "no" for an answer.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 5+ years of relevant software engineering and/or development management experience
- 2+ years of experience as a development manager with development staff reporting to you
- Strong technical credentials, with expertise in OOP, Java or C++
- Strong software design skills - experienced with architecting highly scalable and low latency systems
- A strong foundation in Computer Science fundamentals, such as algorithms and data structures
- An ability to handle multiple competing priorities
- Experience with cross-functional multiple-team based software development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Proven track record of hiring and coaching engineers
- Proven track record of delivery and managing high performance teams
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- 8+ years of relevant software engineering and/or development management experience
- 5+ years of experience as a development manager with development staff reporting to you
- Ability to write and review code
- Experience managing the day-to-day activities of an engineering team using Agile processes
- Experience with user interface design/development
- Experience architecting and building distributed large-scale service-oriented cloud-based architectures
- Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
- Experience in defining overall product strategy
- Experience with communicating directly with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements and define software product features
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top