Software Development Manager
Amazon Athena is an interactive query service that makes it easy to analyze data directly in Amazon S3 using standard SQL. Athena creates a server-less experience for customers, so there is no infrastructure for them to set up or manage. Athena scales automatically—executing queries in parallel—so results are fast, even with large datasets and complex queries. Creating such a simple, performant experience for customers on the front-end opens up challenging engineering problems to solve on the back-end, and that's where you come in. If you are passionate about learning and solving challenging problems in the big data and cloud computing space, growing and developing teams, and have a track record of delivering high-quality technology products in a hyper-growth environment, this role could be exactly what you are looking for.
Athena is growing fast, and we are looking for a software development manager who can lead Athena's query engine team to the next evolution of the service. We have big technical challenges ahead of us that will grow the service and change the way the industry thinks about Big Data analytics. The leader we are looking for brings their experience of building, managing, focusing, and mentoring engineering teams to deliver fast results.
You will continue to grow your technical leadership skills in this role as you:
- Be advised and mentored by some of the strongest technical leadership in the industry
- Actively participate in hiring talented people to continue to grow and expand the Athena group
- Actively develop the careers of the individuals on your team
- Demonstrate your strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate your overall technical competencies and your analytical and problem solving skills
- Work directly with senior and principal engineers to define the architectural roadmap of Athena and dependent services
- Oversee the design process, implementation schedule, and delivery to customers in a fast-paced environment
- Work closely with senior leadership to develop the long-term business strategy and feature roadmap
- Bring a deep understanding of software development methodologies to the team
- Demonstrate your ability to manage a service with high availability, and continue to learn and develop the skills needed to lead a service team with the high operational excellence bar expected by AWS
- Contribute to Amazon's intellectual property through patents and/or external publications
If this sounds interesting to you, apply now and learn more.
- 10+ years of relevant experience building large scale systems and/or managing engineering teams building large scale systems
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Proven track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams
- Experience building and operating distributed systems or big data applications at large scale
- Experience delivering performance optimization features; particularly query optimization experience is a huge plus
- Experience with database systems internals and query execution
- Experience working with open source software such as Presto, Spark, or Hive
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top