Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkoutyou just grab and go! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go!
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you're done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we'll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our Just Walk Out Technology uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earths' most customer-centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
The Role: Everyone on our team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that's more startup than big company. We're solving problems that span a broad range of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, and distributed systems. This role involves building/scaling Machine Learning platform used for developing all the algorithms at Amazon Go.
As a Manager of Software Development, you'll manage a team to define, drive and execute on this vision. You'll develop your team of highly motivated and talented builders who can collaborate with product managers, technical specialists, and principals across the company. You should be customer obsessed, data-driven, and comfortable influencing up and down a large organization, especially at senior levels.
• Define the long-term vision, strategy, and goals for your teams
• Manage a development team responsible for the core of Amazon Go's Just Walk Out technology
• Prioritize, plan projects and features, manage partners, and track external commitments.
• Drive continual improvements to the efficiency and flexibility of the platform while keeping an extremely high bar on customer trust, performance, and availability.
• Foster the career development of your direct reports.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 3+ years managing software development teams including hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
• Minimum of 3-5 years of software development, and a similar amount in software management experience.
• Experience managing and developing direct reports (performance review communication, accountability, motivation/engagement)
• Experience with delivering software projects using Agile / Scrum methodologies
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
• Master's degree in Computer Science
• Experience working in start-up mode building products and services from the ground up.
• Experience with AWS cloud services
• Experience building Machine Learning based systems/services
• Evidence of working with existing systems; curious and able to learn new codebases
• Able to deliver results in a cross-functional team, making high-quality contributions to other systems and libraries
• Experience creating extensible, well-abstracted designs and driving consensus with other engineers
• Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
Hear directly from employees about what it's like to work at Amazon.