Software Development Manager
- Seattle, WA
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Are you interested in building the next generation, cloud-based commerce system for AWS that's used by millions of customers worldwide? Are you excited by the idea of building real-time stream processing systems that operate at Petabyte scale? Then we need to talk!
Computing AWS bills, at its core, is a challenging, distributed systems problem that requires calculations performed over trillions of usage records, millions of accounts, and hundreds of thousands of different rates. Furthermore, our applications must meet strict requirements for accuracy and once-and-only-once processing.
A successful candidate will therefore bring deep software expertise, have strong business intuition, and think broadly to identify visionary products that our customers will love.
The role requires you to be able to lead the software development life-cycle of systems and services in AWS Commerce Platform which includes the following responsibilities:
• Create and execute roadmaps and project plans
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to senior leadership
• Work closely with senior engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
• Build a high performance team while maintaining a high bar for quality
• Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
• Hire, coach, and mentor colleagues; build a strong cross-functional organization and care about developing people
• Own all operational metrics and support
• Have the obsession to drive a better customer experience through everything that we do here at Amazon
• Set clear, measurable quality goals for your organization in a data-led way
If all of this sounds exciting to you, then please come join us and help shape the future of the Cloud.
We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal life
• Proven track record of hiring and managing high performing engineering teams
• Breadth and depth of experience building and managing software systems and teams
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
• Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion
• 6+ years of experience in Software development and 4+ years as a Development Manager
• Strong technical credentials, with expertise in OOP, Java or C++
• Experience with SQL and No SQL data stores
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related degree
• Experience with streaming data queries
• Understanding of Linux/Unix systems
• Knowledge of Hadoop and it's development tools
• Experience building scalable infrastructure and distributed systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top