Software Development Manager
Goodreads is the world's largest site for readers and book recommendations. Founded in 2007, Goodreads is where readers find and share books they love. Used by avid and casual readers alike, Goodreads members can discover new books by seeing what their friends are reading or by using the Goodreads Book Recommendation Engine; share ratings and recommendations; track what they have read, and list what they want to read. Goodreads is also a place where authors connect with readers. Goodreads is a subsidiary of Amazon.
Goodreads is looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead our Community/Discovery team. This team has responsibility for a broad swath of features across Goodreads, and is a key component of our continued growth and user retention.
In this role you will:
- Provide technical guidance to senior leadership on Goodreads' long-term roadmap.
- Provide technical guidance to your team and in turn coach your team to provide guidance to other engineering groups at Goodreads.
- Mentor and develop your engineering team, providing performance feedback, evaluation, and coaching.
- Define estimations, plans, and milestones for your teams' projects, track progress and provide updates on a regular basis.
- Work with teams across Goodreads and Amazon to ship amazing world-class products to millions of users
- Coach your team to think about projects from the customer's perspective and drive high standards for excellence inside and outside your team.
- Refine your teams' processes to streamline delivery to Goodreads customers.
- Participate in architecture reviews for your team and others.
- BA/BS Degree in CS or related
- At least 5+ years experience as a Software Engineer responsible for software architecture and technical design.
- At least 2+ years managing a team of 6+ engineers with direct responsibility for hiring, performance reviews, promotions, and people management.
- Experience in project planning for and with your team, including setting goals and commitments and then following through to execution.
- Experience managing consumer-facing software products.
- Experience designing high-scalability backend services.
- Experience with any of Ruby, Java, or modern web frameworks like React.
- Experience with AWS.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top