Software Development Manager
- Gurgaon, India
Passionate about building, owning and operating massively scalable systems? Experienced in building and leading teams of highly competent software engineers ranging from new graduates to seasoned managers and architects? Want to make a billion-dollar impact? If so, here is an opportunity tailored for you.
Software Development Manager Transportation Technology @ Delhi, India
Who are we?
It's no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers on time, with low cost. We, the Transportation Technology division, build the complex software solutions that work across our vendors, warehouses and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered. Our services already handle thousands of requests per second, make business decisions impacting billions of dollars a year, integrate with a network of small and large carriers worldwide, manage business rules for millions of unique products, and improve ordering and delivery experience for millions of online shoppers. That said, this remains a fast growing business and our technical journey has only started. With rapid expansion into new geographies, innovations in supply chain, unique delivery models for products ranging from Fresh groceries to big-screen TV's, increasingly complex transportation network, and growing number of shipments worldwide, we see a brand new opportunity to fundamentally change the way people get the stuff they need, and make a big impact by cutting billions of dollars of transportation costs from the ecosystem. Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation system on the planet, using our engineering muscle as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and optimization techniques, and operate high volume, low latency, and high availability services. Oh, and we will need great leaders too (this is where you come in ... read on)
What will you do?
As part of the leadership team, you will work on developing the systems and strategies used by Amazon worldwide and will regularly interact with executive leadership. You will work with the business teams world-wide to define organization roadmaps, drive execution of technology projects, drive operational excellence initiatives and manage technology operations. As a manager, you'll need to build, manage, and mentor engineering teams towards achieving a focused mission. You'll work in a high volume environment and will be required to lead not only at the strategic level, but also tactically day-to-day by diving deeply into business and technical domains. As a multi-discipline leader, the buck will stop with you. You'll be required to not just lead the engineering (dev & test) functions but also lead the product/program management aspects as the complete owner of the product.
To accomplish this, you will be expected to have an established background in building highly scalable systems and system design, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about building good software as well as making that software achieve its operational goals. Experience with building and operating web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale, will be very applicable and helpful. Prior experience in leading multiple disciplines (dev/test/pm) will be a big plus as well.
Come and see for yourself why we are one of the most admired company in the US, rated #1 in Innovation and # 1 in Customer Service, and be part of our tradition of working hard, having fun and making history!
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• Bachelor or Master in computer science
• Solid professional experience in software development
• Advocate for solutions to technical challenges, articulating schedule/risk/quality trade-offs
• Collaborate across disciplines for positive, productive teamwork
• Demonstrated ability to go the extra mile to do things right and fast
• Participate in design and architecture sessions with other senior technical leads
• Produce quality, innovative, debuggable, testable and maintainable code
• Learn new things, fail fast, and explore new coding territory
• Programming experience in Java and frameworks such as JEE/Spring/Hibernate
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to learn new languages and technologies quickly
• Experience in communicating with business teams, other development teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Knowledge of AWS/Cloud technologies
Back to top