Software Development Manager
- Seattle, WA
Prime Video is disrupting traditional media with an ever-increasing selection of movies, TV shows, Award winning original content, add-on subscriptions including HBO and Showtime, and live events like Thursday Night Football. Making great content available to customers, with high availability is just one part of the puzzle. Experimenting with different ways of making this content available to customers is equally important.
Linear (24/7 Television or broadcast programming) is one of the key options for Prime Video customers. Although video on demand is on the rise, the global viewing hours weighs in favor of live or scheduled TV and OTT linear streaming is predicted to grow in next two years. We in Prime Video Catalog are building next gen linear catalog systems to provide best-in-class Linear TV experience to Prime Video customers. It is Day 1 for the linear TV experience on Prime Video.
This is your opportunity to take an active role in shaping the future of digital video by defining the next generation of what Amazon customers are watching. We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help continue to deliver on our ambitious goals.
We are seeking a talented Software Development Manager to grow and develop a team of passionate engineers in building the next generation systems to provide the best selection and customer experience to PV channels & Linear customers. This team is responsible for designing, and inventing scalable ways to source program schedule and station metadata about linear content from multiple sources to build a knowledge base of information about all linear content in Prime Video. Building systems to make information from this knowledge base available to customers in an operationally responsible manner so that our customers are able to make an informed streaming decision is another critical aspect of this role and team. Come enhance the entertainment experience to the delight our worldwide audiences.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about simple and elegant software solutions, customer-centric products, and utilizing agile development processes. You will look at problems holistically, beyond the borders of your team, and thrive on solutions that require thinking at multiple levels, from strategic to business tactical to system goals to specific interfaces. You do not shrink from the spotlight, able to coordinate cross-org meetings, field difficult questions, and create positive collaborative outcomes. You are adept at directing engineering and operations, evaluating research and writing documents for an executive audience. You ensure solutions are reliable, scalable, and secure.
You will have an enormous opportunity to impact both the customer and partner experience, design, architecture, and implementation of cutting-edge products that will be used every day by people you know, and influence industry and industry standards. No matter what the role, we are looking for people who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers, demonstrate a high degree of ownership, and want to have fun while they make history.
What you'll do,
• Manage and grow a team of software engineers and applied scientists, and you will direct their projects, performance, and career growth
• Clearly communicate project roadmap with your team, management, and principal stakeholders
• Work with peer managers to determine scope and estimate development effort
• Lead systems design, architecture, and scaling discussions.
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field.
• Experience building customer and developer facing products and services
• Experience with project delivery for cross-functional projects
• A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Deep hands-on technical expertise
• Strong business and technical vision
• Experience with high volume, low-latency architectures
• Experience building large-scale web services backed by cloud services, such as AWS
• Experience or background in streaming video delivery is a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top