Software Development Manager
- Austin, TX
Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) powers Amazon's global fulfillment network by designing and building the software, hardware and processes that enable our customers to get what they want, when they want it. We put innovation into action, working alongside our employees in the FCs to move billions of customer orders through our Fulfillment Centers globally. AFT is creating the future of fulfillment, and we're looking for people with big ideas and the drive to see them at work in the real world. If you're ready to innovate on a global scale and manage a high performing team, join us.
Our team is looking for a Software Development Manager who can join us in building real time inventory/shipment tracking software systems & can manage and grow high performing teams, hiring & developing highly skilled engineers and leveraging their expertise to build foundational systems which would provide real-time tracking data to several consumers, both systems and humans in hundreds of Fulfillment Centers (FCs i.e. Amazon Warehouses) around the world. These systems track inventory/shipment movement to provide buffer/work-in-progress information which is critical for driving operations decisions that impact delivery of packages to Amazon customers. So, your work will directly influence Amazon business and customer promise. As a leader of this team, you will own and manage highly visible projects and roadmap that directly impact the customer experience.
You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex software, have a customer-centric mindset, and feel strongly about building teams and automated systems that can be operated at world-wide scale with minimal human intervention. You will collaborate with your team members and stakeholders and show strong sense of ownership and demonstrable track record of success in software delivery, team development, people development, hiring and growing your team, charter and roadmap.
• Manage overall software development life-cycle
• Create, prioritize, communicate, manage, and execute roadmaps, project plans, and commitments
• Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
• Work closely with Sr. engineers and Team Leaders to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
• Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
• Hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization
• Interface with a diverse customer base to understand requirements, priorities, and processes
• Propose and implement new projects or recommend system improvements.
• Own all operational metrics and support
• Have the obsession to drive a better customer experience through everything that we do here at Amazon
• Set clear, measurable quality goals for an organization in a data-driven way
Personal traits not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
• Exhibits excellent judgment, are right a lot
• Hire and develop the best people
• Able to dive deep and never out of touch with the details of the business
• Strong results orientated approach.
• Thinks big and have a bias for Action
• Deal well with ambiguity
• 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Experience with OOD and object oriented languages
• The ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Deep technical expertise and strong problem-solving and data analysis skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences
• A thorough understanding of software development in a team and a strong track record of shipping software
• Master's degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline
• Agile software development methodologies
• Experience with large scale systems
• Strong business and technical vision
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top