Amazon Aurora is a built-for-cloud, relational database system that advances the state of the art in RDBMS technology by combining award winning distributed systems innovation with the familiarity and acceptance of open source. Aurora continues to be the fastest growing service in AWS history and the Aurora team operates one of the largest fleets of production databases in the world. You can read more about Aurora here (do checkout the SIGMOD papers at the end of the article): https://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2019/03/Amazon-Aurora-design-cloud-native-relational-database.html
This is an opportunity to participate in world-class, groundbreaking systems innovation, in the database, security and tools areas, and work on core systems and technology platforms that form a fundamental part of the cloud and serve customers at scale.
As a software development manager in the Aurora team, you will,
• Build, manage, and develop a team of engineers, provide mentoring, and manage resource allocation.
• Provide technical leadership and project management for all aspects of the development and operation of distributed software systems.
• Lead design reviews for engineers, and drive feedback on architecture and design issues.
• Participate in and inform planning to achieve technical and business objectives, and define technical direction
• Monitor and shepherd adherence to standards and processes for teams and resources
• BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
• 10+ years' experience in system software development and delivery
• 3+ years' experience managing a high-performance engineering team
• Hands-on experience with systems design and implementation (C, C++, Java), preferably on Linux
• Familiarity with databases and SQL
• Familiarity with project management tools and mechanisms
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Familiarity with developing for large-scale, multi-tiered distributed software systems.
• Familiarity with deployment and delivery of cloud services
• Conceptual knowledge of database systems internals
• Internet and operating system security fundamentals
• Familiarity with Git and open source software development