Software Development Manager
- Seattle, WA
Join us to advance the state-of-the art in database technology and serve customers all around the world.
Our team develops Amazon DocumentDB (with MongoDB compatibility), a fully-managed cloud database that enables customers to persist JSON documents and retrieve them with a powerful query language. We are developing new query capabilities, pushing the bounds of performance, driving distributed systems innovation in scalability and high availability, and investing in user experience.
As a leader on the team, you will collaborate with your reports, peers, and senior leadership to help shape the product vision, and you will own your team's engineering plan and execution. As a manager, you will hire, organize, and serve a group of passionate, talented engineers in research, prototyping, software design, and implementation. You will lead the team in honing its processes and in building team culture, and you will facilitate engineers' career development. Depending on your specific role within the organization, your team may focus on core database technology, distributed systems, telemetry and developer tools, or a multiplicity of these areas.
If you are excited by the prospect of making it easier for customers to store, query, and analyze data at scale; if you are interested in databases, operating systems, distributed systems, and/or developer tools; and if you are looking to build and serve a high-performing team of engineers we would love to hear from you.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• A Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent skills and knowledge
• At least five years' experience designing, building, shipping, and maintaining production software as an engineer
• At least two years' experience as an engineering manager
• Demonstrated success delivering multi-person technical projects
• Demonstrated experience communicating status and forward-looking plans with transparency to stakeholders, including skip-level management
• Demonstrated ability to hire, enable, coach, and promote technical staff
• Ability to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to others' ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions, including effective written communication skills
• Demonstrated experience employing Agile development practices such as Scrum and Kanban
• Ability to audit and provide constructive feedback on technical designs, code, project plans, and project execution
• Experience building databases, operating systems, developer tools, or production distributed systems, as an engineer or manager
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Back to top