It's no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers on time, with low cost. The Middle Mile Transportation Technology organization, builds complex software solutions that work across our vendors, warehouses and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered. Our services already handle thousands of requests per second, make business decisions impacting billions of dollars a year, integrate with a network of small and large carriers, owner operators and drivers worldwide, manage business rules for millions of unique products, and improve ordering and delivery experience for millions of online shoppers. That said, this remains a fast growing business and our technical journey has only started. An example of a recent innovation from this group is AmazonFlex (flex.amazon.com) that enables crowdsourced last mile delivery. With rapid expansion into new geographies, innovations in supply chain, unique delivery models for products ranging from AmazonFresh groceries, ultra-fast Prime Now deliveries to big-screen TV's, increasingly complex transportation network, and growing number of shipments worldwide, we see a brand new opportunity to fundamentally change the way people get the stuff they need, and make a big impact by cutting billions of dollars of transportation costs from the ecosystem. Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation solution on the planet, using our technology and engineering muscle as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and optimization techniques, and operate high volume, low latency, and high availability services. Oh, and we will need great leaders too (this is where you come in ... read on)
You'll and develop systems and applications used by Amazon worldwide and will regularly interact with engineering and business leadership. You will participate in the planning and execution of technology projects and operational excellence initiatives. You'll also mentor junior engineers in employing strong and implementation practices.
To accomplish this, you will be expected to have an established background in building highly scalable systems and applications, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about building good software as well as making that software achieve its operational goals. Experience with building and operating web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale, will be very applicable and helpful.
Come and see for yourself why we are one of the most admired company in the US, rated #1 in Innovation and # 1 in Customer Service, and be part of our tradition of working hard, having fun and making history!
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.