The AWS Firmware team drives system innovation in the servers used by all of Amazon Web Services, including EC2, S3, CloudFront, etc. Our engineers solve the hardest problems that fuse software, hardware, and the cloud. We take big bets on new concepts, enabling AWS services to continue to revolutionize the industry. We are looking for a seasoned Senior Software Development engineer to build firmware management systems, test frameworks and productivity tools. As a development engineer in this team, you will work with a team of world-class software developers who thrive on creating innovative, scalable solutions for real-world data center infrastructure problems. You will be part of larger development efforts to build, validate and support firmware in diverse technology domains from embedded software to large-scale distributed software systems, using proprietary and open source technologies.
The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative self-starter. You will develop test automation and firmware validation test harnesses for AWS server firmware. You will collaborate with internal and external development engineers (architecture, hardware, validation, software services). You will use your broad experience using and developing automated testing tools, programming languages and knowledge of server components to build and deploy infrastructure to support firmware development. AWS Engineers are shaping the way people use computers and designing the future of cloud computing technology come help us make history!
What you will do: You will be a member of a team designing AWS-specific hardware, firmware and software. You will pioneer the design and development of test infrastructure for a variety of server components. You will build services that enables server component firmware teams to scale to AWS requirements, efficiently and effectively. Firmware development teams will use your frameworks, test and deployment management tools and methodology to develop content to meet their needs. You will design firmware developer workflows, tools and methodology to improve developer velocity and code health. You will work closely with AWS software and firmware engineers to automate health reporting of testing tools, test infrastructure and productivity tools that support firmware development.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for component customization that will directly benefit our customers.
Why you will love it: You will work with engineers across the company to build firmware for next-generation platform. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for our developers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership for the implementation of your work. You will see direct increase in customer satisfaction via improved firmware development velocity, firmware quality and efficiency of firmware delivery based on the results of your work.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience
• 5+ years of experience in software development as an engineer.
• 3+ years of experience with development and execution of test frameworks using a high-level language (C, C++, Java) and a scripting language (Python, shell)
• 3+ years of experience with software validation for embedded platforms
• Experience with building test automation frameworks and infrastructure for firmware test
• Experience with building developer productivity tools for firmware developers
• Understanding of Continuous Integration/Continuous delivery systems for managing component firmware delivery at scale
• Experience delivering test coverage and code coverage improvements for firmware
• Understanding of or more of the following areas: server manageability (BMC, IPMI); server BIOS sub-system; Storage devices (SSD/HDD/HBA other)
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.