Software Development Engineer, Sustainability
Interested in a high impact role? Have a passion for sustainability? Love making software? Looking for like-minded colleagues?
Amazon's Sustainability Technology team is looking for talented software engineers to design, implement, and launch sustainability-focused software initiatives across Amazon. Some of our work areas include:
- Energy and Environment: Measuring and taking action on our energy use and waste stream, including expanding Amazon's use of renewable energy and waste diversion in our internal operations.
- Social Responsibility: Building tools ensuring every Amazon product is made and handled in a way that respects the workers in Amazon's supply chain and throughout our operations.
- Product Safety: Using software to solve the big data problems in building the world's most authoritative dataset of all information required for understanding how products are made and to be handled.
- Packaging Experience: Reducing waste and cost in all aspects of Amazon packaging, from our shipping boxes to primary product packaging, and beyond.
As a Software Engineer you will work with your manager and team of highly skilled software, data, and test engineers to invent, design, and build highly stable and performant software. You will work with your internal customers to balance customer requirements with team requirements and help your team and business evolve. While focusing on your team's specific problem space, you will also collaborate with engineers in partner teams within the Sustainability group in our work driving Amazon's end-to-end sustainability.
Each and every person buying, selling, or handling Amazon products will be your customer.
If you'd like to make a real-world difference by working hard, having fun, and making history, this is the team for you!
- Design and develop critical components of world class, scalable distributed systems.
- Mentor junior Software Development Engineers.
- Interface with our internal customers and technical leadership to inform and understand requirements and priorities.
- Take on hard, ambiguous problems and articulate solutions that will to serve the broader Amazon.
- Help develop long-term technical strategies in the product supply chain space.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related degree
- 2+ years professional experience in software development
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Proficiency in Java, C#, Scala, or other similar programming languages
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
- Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
- Hands-on expertise in disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Expertise in one or more AWS products/services
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top