Software Development Engineer - Search Platform (Level 5)
- Palo Alto, CA
The Amazon Search team owns the software that powers Search - a critical customer-focused feature of Amazon.com. Whenever you visit an Amazon site anywhere in the world, it's our technology that delivers you outstanding search results. Our services are used by millions of Amazon customers a day.
Our team is responsible for the large-scale distributed systems that power those experiences. We design, build and operate high performance fault tolerant services that apply the latest technologies to solve customer problems.
As a software engineer on this team you will:
• Evolve and grow a world-class search system, using AWS technologies to build systems that will be deployed to tens of thousands of machines worldwide, serving billions of requests with latencies in the tens of milliseconds.
• Develop a cutting-edge framework for distributed applications and explore new ways to solve key problems at scale Everything from how we do A/B tests to high performance inference with machine learned models.
• Maintain a focus on scalability, latency, performance robustness, and cost trade-offs in a containerized cloud-based environment.
• Apply mathematical analysis and modeling techniques to predict, measure and evaluate the consequences of designs and the ongoing success of our platform.
We provide a dynamic entrepreneurial environment, while leveraging the resources of Amazon.com (AMZN), one of the world's leading Internet companies. This position is based in either our office in San Francisco or Palo Alto, California.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Masters Degree or PhD in computer science, or related discipline.
• Experience with functional programming in Scala.
• Familiarity with scalable algorithms for processing large amounts of data.
• 6+ years of experience with public cloud infrastructure.
• Experience with open source search engines like Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene.
Back to top