Software Development Engineer - Search Marketing
- Vancouver, Canada
Amazon's Search Marketing team is building the Internet's largest-scale automated advertising systems. The team is responsible for developing high availability, low latency and high throughput systems, as well as algorithms that automatically generate, target, measure, and optimize tens of millions of search engine ad placements including organic listings and paid ads such as Text Ads and Shopping Ads. We routinely solve challenges related to large scale distributed systems and web services. We manage a continuously growing portfolio of paid advertisements while maximizing returns through bidding efficiency and discovery of new keywords, products and revenue opportunities. We also build infrastructure that powers critical functionalities of the retail websites for search engine optimization. We employ cutting edge technology and algorithms, including statistical modeling, machine learning, data mining and natural language processing. Search Marketing drives a large portion of Amazon's business, and represents a unique opportunity to drive impact on the company's bottom line. With full ownership of our own product roadmap, there is a large R&D component to our work, and strong programming skills together with sound business understanding and an appetite for innovation are highly valued.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate for our team is someone who loves sophisticated algorithms and mathematical precision, but at the same time enjoys implementing real world systems, and is motivated by the prospect of multi-million dollar business returns. You will oversee the design and development of systems and services that span the entire stack which will give you the opportunity to work with a wide range of technologies. You will work with a team of smart engineers to build solutions that will help customers find what they're looking for in the most scalable ways. You will collaborate directly with business leaders and have direct influence over the technical direction of the team. Given the scale and the complexity of Amazon's website platform and architecture, our problem space is truly unique and challenging. This position will give you the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the field, collaborate with other development teams, work closely with machine learning scientists, drive innovations and make improvements that touch millions of customers.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Experience with Agile / SCRUM development methodologies
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Scalable web application development and experience using NoSQL databases like Dynamo DB.
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective
• Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
• Fast thinker with a good grasp of business and technology and foresight to apply technology to solve business problems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top