Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world!
Our customers are extremely diverse and the AWS Region is the foundation for offering services to our customers. Expanding customer use cases, new geographies, and the rapid adoption of cloud computing makes new region builds critical for AWS to address evolving customer needs.
Why you will love it: You will have exposure to teams and leaders across the entire company. You will see many aspects of the Amazon business. You will have a direct impact on AWS growth and delivering major new capabilities for our customers. You will have ownership and responsibility for defining and executing processes that deliver both savings and productivity for AWS.
The AWS Region Services Organization redefines the way AWS designs, builds and operates regions that will enable new regions and region offerings of different designs and sizes. We deliver products by working backwards from unique Customer requirements for broader applicability.
The Team: We're a small, independent lab inside AWS working on tooling to improve the operational efficiency of AWS services. As a member of our team, you will partner with popular AWS services to understand their use case and define mechanisms to improve efficiency. As a lab, we manage an existing portfolio of tools and actively build new services to solve problems.
We need developers who move fast, capable of breaking down and solving complex problems, and have a strong will to get things done. Developers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end to end and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world.
Join a team of super smart, customer obsessed developers that like to have fun in a start-up like environment.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or a related engineering field, or equivalent years of experience in software development
- 5+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Experience with Spark or Apache highly preferred
- Experience building new products and services from the ground up.
- Experience developing systems that query large datasets
- Some Machine Learning experience
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of computer networking and information security.
- Strong communications skills; you will be required to proactively engage fellow Amazonians both inside and outside of your team.
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
- Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines.
- Expertise in software processes, web services, multi-tiered systems, and enterprise application integration.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.