Software Development Engineer - Prime Video
- Arlington, VA
Prime Video is disrupting traditional media with a vast library of titles, Award winning original content, add-on subscriptions, and live events. Our services operate at Amazon-scale and are engineered for high scalability, reliability, and performance. We enable our customers to watch video instantly, online or off, from any device, whether in the comfort of home or on the go. We deliver premium movies, TV shows, add-on subscriptions, and live streaming on thousands of devices across personal computers, mobile devices, game consoles, smart TVs, and set-top boxes. We operate globally in 240+ countries and continue to expand our offerings.
The iOS playback team designs, implements and maintains high-performance software that powers video playback on millions of iOS devices. We are responsible for the playback experience, quality and performance from the time you press play on a Prime Video title. Our software is designed to work seamlessly on a variety of devices, in a variety of playing conditions and in a multitude of content consumption contexts including live streaming, on-demand and ad-supported playback. We obsess over the time that elapses between pressing play to when the first frame is rendered to the screen. We are constantly refreshing our software and adding new functionality that allow users to get the best out of both the Amazon video library and their specific device. We respond to organizational and competitive needs and build high-quality software fast in an agile development environment. We work closely with other Amazon software teams and help them build video functionality into their offerings.
We are expanding and looking for experienced software developers who can help iOS Player for Amazon Video deliver a compelling user experience and best in class quality and performance. You will be responsible for designing and developing reusable, object-oriented and performant software utilizing relevant architecture and design patterns. You will mentor, guide and motivate fellow software engineers in the team and help them realize their full potential.
Successful candidates for this position will have strong software engineering fundamentals (data structures, object-oriented design and algorithms), a well-honed arsenal of software architecture and design patterns and a demonstrated competence in designing reusable, maintainable and performant software written in a modern high-level language (C, C++, Java, C#, Objective-C, Swift). You will also demonstrate the ability to adapt to changing business and technical environments and devising creative solutions to vexing software problems. The ability to crisply and concisely communicate orally and in writing to engineers and executives alike is essential.
A background in multimedia software development and/or knowledge of audio/video codecs (AVC, HEVC, AAC, AC-3), DRM technologies (Widevine, FairPlay), media frameworks (gstreamer, openMAX, iOS AV), streaming technologies (DASH, HLS) and media container formats is a definite plus.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, productive software engineers
• Ability to influence software engineering best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Knowledge of media container formats (MP4), encoding schemes (AAC, AVC, HEVC), streaming protocols (http, HLS, DASH)
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top