Software Development Engineer - Prime Video
- Seattle, WA
Prime Video is changing the way millions of customers interact with video content with a massive library of high-quality media and reliable digital delivery. Our services are engineered for high availability, maximum reach, and cost savings that we can pass on to customers. We enable the world to watch video instantly, from any device, whether on the road or from the comfort of a living room sofa. Today, we deliver Movies and TV shows to Windows and Mac PCs, portable devices, gaming consoles, smart phones, and smart TVs. We operate in over 250 countries and territories and we aspire to grow a lot.
The Selection Acquisition products allow studio partners to seamlessly transmit and manage (1) content rights and availability, (2) contracts, and (3) customer experience for all of their content, not only what is licensed to Amazon. We provide a well-documented suite of file-based and API integrations to promote easy partner integrations based on the latest industry specs.
What do we expect you to do?
As a senior member of the team, you will spend your time as a hands-on engineer and a technical leader. You will play a key role in defining the architecture for software using a wide range of technologies, programming languages and systems. You will be given the freedom to explore your own ideas with the reward of seeing your code raise the bar for millions of Amazon customers worldwide, including your own family and friends.
You will build large-scale, high-performance, customer-friendly self-service tools and back-end services using the latest AWS technologies like Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS, Redshift and S3. Front-end engineers will use React and other latest UI libraries in addition to all the AWS technologies.
We embrace the challenges of a fast paced market and evolving technologies, paving the way to universal availability of video and pushing the envelope for streaming quality. You will be encouraged to see the big picture, be innovative, and positively impact millions of customers. This is a young and evolving business where creativity and drive can make a lasting impact on world-wide consumer entertainment.
Successful candidates for this position will have a background in Java, C#, or C++ and ideally have some knowledge of Ruby and SQL. Equally important to these specific skills is a candidate's ability to multi-task, adapt quickly to new development environments and changing business requirements, learn new systems, gain new skills, create reliable & maintainable code, and find creative, scalable solutions to difficult problems.
The ability to communicate clearly and concisely both written and orally is a key competency as is demonstrable skill as a self-starter. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about delivering consistently great digital media experiences to our customers, particularly those who want to grow within a world-class engineering team.
The ideal SDE-3 (L6) candidate is clearly passionate about delivering experiences that delight customers and creating solutions that are robust. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in fast paced environment where learning new concepts quickly is a must.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 3+ years experience with Java, C# or C++
• 3+ years experience designing, developing and maintaining highly-scaled distributed systems
• Commanding knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and object oriented design
• Deep knowledge of design patterns
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Working knowledge of programming languages beyond Java, C or C++ (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl)
• Experience with Amazon Web Services
• Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
• Experience with high throughput cloud systems
• Experience implementing and consuming large scale web services
• Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (C/C++ and/or Java preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
• Knowledge of Perl or other scripting languages a plus
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
• Previous technical internship(s) preferred
• Master's in Computer Science a plus
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Back to top