Software Development Engineer - NoSQL Databases
Our software developers build the next generation technologies that change how millions of AWS customers connect, and interact with AWS services ecosystem. We use ideas from every facet of computer science including distributed computing, large-scale design, big and real-time data processing, data storage, service oriented architecture, networking, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. We are looking for highly-motivated and passionate engineers to build our next-generation NoSQL distributed database platform with a rich query interface for large scale OLTP/OLAP workload applications.
If you have ever pondered about CAP theorem, consistent hashing, multi-master replication, merkle trees, leader election or Paxos Algorithm, gossip protocols, tiered storage, this is an opportunity to get your hands dirty with a real-world solution implementing these distributed system concepts. Come work with the folks who are not only building a highly-available and scalable database service but also influencing the direction of NoSQL systems throughout the industry (read our acclaimed Dynamo paper here: http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/files/amazon-dynamo-sosp2007.pdf).
As an engineer in this team, you will build our next-generation NoSQL database platform that allows developers to build highly available, scalable and high performance applications. We are working to bring some of the assets of RDBMS systems such as SQL and transactions to the rapidly growing world of NoSQL database systems. The software services have unprecedented scale and availability requirements. You will lead the software development of large-scale distributed NoSQL database storage platform; in Java, C/C++ and other languages using open source and Amazon proprietary technologies. This includes software applications dealing with HTTP/REST services, asynchronous messaging, event-based technologies, real-time failure detection system, horizontal and vertical scaling, management and monitoring plane workflows, auto-remediation, fault tolerance, backup and restore technologies, disaster recovery and prevention. As a member of the NoSQL Database Platform team, you will also get to work with exceptional team members and be directly involved in growing and mentoring junior engineers on the team.
We are building a high performance, low-latency NoSQL database with rich query APIs. Our charter is NoSQL database platform with a fully managed experience that enables users to deploy, manage and massively scale on top of this database platform. We heavily use open-source software systems in providing a world-class experience to our customers. In addition, we are building a new highly scalable and available management plane system using micro-services architecture and a real-time failure detection and auto-remediation system that can detect node failures in our large distributed clusters, initiate and remediate failed nodes within seconds.
To apply for this role, we are looking for folks with solid analytical, design and problem diagnosis skills, expertise with systems programming, database internals, high-performance applications, distributed systems or service design is a plus. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to tackle new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward. With your technical expertise you will manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables. You will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
- Design and develop NoSQL database platform for one of the largest cloud
- Design and develop solutions that are fast, always available and operate flawlessly at large-scale
- Build abstraction layers to develop a single control plane and monitoring plane platform to manage large distributed cluster using multiple NoSQL engines.
- Mentor junior engineers on all aspects of the engineering skillset
- Expert knowledge of one of the following programming languages: Java, C and C++
- 5+ years of hands on experience in software development, including design, implementation, debugging, and support, building scalable system software and/or Services
- Deep understanding of distributed systems and web services technology
- Strong at applying data structures, algorithms, and object oriented design, to solve challenging problems
- Experience working with REST and RPC service patterns and other client/server interaction models
- Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience in taking a lead role developing complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers in all aspects of their engineering skillsets
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, product strategy and influence outcomes in technical decision-making
- Experience with database performance tuning, indexes, MVCC, query optimization, storage layout (btree, LSM), transactions, etc.
- Experience working with NoSQL database technologies
- Solid understanding of performance and efficiency with a strong customer focus
- Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top