Software Development Engineer - Machine Learning (Prime Video Recommendations)
- Seattle, WA
Just finished Man in the High Castle and want to watch more of the same? Looking for a movie that's like The Big Sick? So are millions of our Prime Video customers. The Prime Video Relevance team suggests videos that are relevant and tailored to our customers' schedules and environments. We help our customers find content they didn't even known they were looking for, continuing to surprise them with the depth of our catalog.
Jeff Wilke (CEO, World Wide Consumer) recently highlighted at re:Mars our team's pioneering use of neural networks for recommendations - our first success from 4 years ago! In order to meet our customers rising expectations and ever expanding catalog of content, we've pushed the cutting edge of using deep learning for recommendations ever since. However, we're still not satisfied with the experience, and we need your help to move even faster.
Our teams are already either exploring or leveraging: residual networks for surfacing more of our catalog, auto encoders and clustering to identify niche content carousels, attention networks to better understand what customers are currently into, reinforcement learning to optimize for the long term, graph convolution networks to understand the complex interaction of our customers with the videos they enjoy (or don't), and transfer learning to optimize to different customer objectives. Not only will you be exposed to the cutting edge of machine learning research, you'll collaborate with a talented team of engineers and scientists to create services to run these predictions on distributed systems at incredible scale and speed. As a member of the Prime Video Relevance team, you will spend your time as a hands-on engineer and a technical leader. You will play a key role in building and guiding software products and features from the ground up. You will use a wide range of technologies, programming languages and systems. Your responsibilities will include all aspects of software development. At the end of the day, you will have the reward of seeing your contributions delight Prime Video customers worldwide.
Some examples of the things we work on:
• Using Neural Networks and Deep Learning techniques to find titles that customers will enjoy
• Build and operate services that deliver millions of recommendations per second
• Extend models and algorithms to support our ever growing ways of consuming content (subscriptions, live, rentals etc), dealing with unique challenges such as observational bias and rapidly scaling dimensions
• Constantly experimenting with changes to the underlying algorithms and models to deliver relevant content to a wide variety of customer experiences.
• If you are ready to truly make an impact on a product that is used by millions of people around the world, including your own friends and family, then we would love to talk to you.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience with Java
• Experience with critical, 24x7 systems
• Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong system design and architecture experience
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top