Amazon Web Services is seeking a talented and passionate Software Development Engineer to join our Load Balancing team in Seattle. This engineer will have a significant impact on our business as they build mission critical services to abstract away complex workflows enabling our customers to safely operate and scale Amazon's load balancing platform.
We are building a suite of robust services that provide improved control, visibility and predictability for Amazon's load balancing requirements worldwide.
As a Software Development Engineer for Load Balancing, you'll have a unique opportunity to shape the development of our network infrastructure. You'll work on Amazon's hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. You will design and implement software systems supporting a scalable and robust network. You'll strive for simplicity, demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment, and contribute towards intellectual property through patents.
• Continually improve your level of knowledge about Amazon's business and relevant networks & technologies, and use this knowledge to deliver high quality, accurate software deliverables.
• You will be responsible for major deliverables, and will be expected to show good judgment, to think in terms of architectures.
• You will Troubleshoot and fix operational problems: You will work with systems and software engineers to troubleshoot operational problems and fix them. You will also have the opportunity to automate troubleshooting procedures, write tools and, when the issues concern specific customers, talk to customers and understand their space better.
The ideal candidate will be a designer, builder and an operator. A successful software developer will demonstrate the following skills and experience:
• Ability to work within technical standards, technical architecture and engineering practices across an organization.
• Capacity to think globally when building systems, ensuring Amazon builds high performing, scalable systems that fit well together.
• High judgment and creativity; ability to decompose complex problems into simple solutions.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
This position requires US Citizenship.
• Experience with load balancing technologies like NGINX, AWS ELB, F5 or Citrix NetScalers
• Understanding of routing protocols to help facilitate troubleshooting and remediation of networking issues
• Track record in automating away manual operations
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us