Software Development Engineer, Last Mile Planning
- Bellevue, WA
The vehicle routing team is at the heart of our growing logistics network at Amazon. We're challenged to constantly improve and innovate on our vehicle routing/planning software and tools to better support fast delivery to customers. We are looking for a Software Development Engineer with exceptional technical skills and a passion for delivering great software to join our team. We have among the most complex vehicle routing problems in the industry, including large, capacitive, commingled, and time windowed routing problems. We dispatch thousands of drivers a day to carry millions of packages to our customers.
Parcel delivery strategies have objectives that can often compete with one another. Most notably, ideal on-road and in-station processes may be incompatible; moreover, optimizing for the "happy path" leads to operational realities that are not resilient to failure (which are common during peak delivery times). In this role, you will create globally optimal route plans amidst these opposing forces. Vehicle routing touches sortation, containerization, picking, and dispatch. You will work at the intersection of these to build a plan that is efficient, fair, and executable. You will learn about optimization, routing algorithms, and building tools for operators to be successful each and every day around the globe. You will work with research scientists, senior engineers and product managers in a fast paced and growing environment, where ideas are prototyped, tested, and implemented.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Exceptional problem solving and analytical abilities.
• Understanding of algorithmic design and complexity analysis.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work in a team environment.
• High sense of ownership, self-motivation, and desire to delight customers.
• In-depth knowledge of CS data structures and algorithms
• Master's degree or foreign equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field.
• Experience in optimization algorithms development (e.g, supply chain optimization, operations research, network design, machine learning, etc.) and/or the transportation domain
• Proven experience establishing metrics for measurement of engineering and operational excellence.
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
• Knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices.
• Ability to tackle big, challenging problems and resolve ambiguity in the customer's favor.
• Experience defining system architectures and designs, exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs, and making data-driven decisions.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to develop all aspects of their engineering skill sets.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top