Software Development Engineer, Kumo Development Team
- Cape Town, South Africa
Amazon Web Services ("AWS") is the world's most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform. AWS offers over 100+ fully featured services to millions of active customers around the worldincluding the fastest-growing start-ups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies and organizations. AWS Customers are continuing to leverage AWS Services for applications ranging from exploratory to targeted innovative solutions to business-critical systems.
Kumo is the software engineering organization that scales AWS's support capabilities. Amazon's mission is to be earth's most customer-centric company and this also applies when it comes to helping our own Amazon employees with their everyday IT Support needs. Our team is innovating for the Amazonian, making the interaction with IT Support as smooth as possible. We achieve this through multiple mechanisms which eliminate root causes altogether, automate issue resolution or point customers towards the optimal troubleshooting steps for their situation. We deliver the support solutions plus the end-user content with instructions to help them self-serve. We employ machine learning solutions on multiple ends to understand our customer's behavior, predict customer's intent, deliver personalized content and automate issue resolution through chatbots.
Our team is growing and hiring software development engineers at all levels. Depending on the level, you will demonstrate knowledge in the following disciplines at varying levels:
• You recognize and adopt best practices in software development engineering: design, testing, version control, documentation, build, deployment, and operations.
• You write high quality, maintainable, and robust code
• You have a working knowledge of basic UI technologies, frameworks and concepts including HTML 5, REST, jQuery, AJAX, CSS3, SOA, Responsive design
• You can define APIs and integrate them into usable interfaces
• You understand how web applications work, perform and scale. You are comfortable with troubleshooting and problem analysis
• You solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
• You develop pragmatic solutions. You build flexible/scalable systems without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones. Where existing solutions are known, you use them.
• You understand fundamental data structures and algorithms and know how, when and when not to use them.
• You anticipate and prevent future problems from occurring
• The technical skills required for this role include strong object-oriented design and programming in Java.
• A deep understanding of Computer Science fundamentals is essential (know those data structures and algorithms)
• Experience working pragmatically under deadlines with operational software is highly desired.
• You enjoy building things and are curious to find how things work
• You love solving the big and hard problems as well as make sure your service stays running
• Experience with AWS services and server-less technologies is a plus
• Honour's or MSc degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or other quantitative field is a plus
''Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Female / Minority / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy/eu) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.''
Back to top