Software Development Engineer, Java
Would you like to experience what it would have felt like to join Amazon in 1995? The International Expansion team is responsible for launching Amazon marketplaces in new regions and our team gets to experience the feeling of launching businesses from the ground up and making our products work for the customers in the new region.
The International Expansion team is building a team to define, design and develop a solution for a new business initiative that will directly impact Amazon's topline growth. Our Development team will play a pivotal role in this program, with the mission to build a comprehensive solution for the new business initiative. This is a rare opportunity to be part of a team that will be responsible for building a successful, sustainable and strategic business for Amazon, from the ground up!
As a Developer on the team you will be instrumental in designing and building low latency solutions that work gracefully on a wide spectrum of network bandwidths and provide the best mobile shopping experience for our customers. The solution you will build will accelerate global innovation and impact all aspects of the buyer's experience on Amazon.
You will work with Principal Engineers at Amazon to evolve the design and architecture of the global platforms. You will be responsible to set up and hold a high software quality bar besides providing technical direction to a highly technical team of Software Engineers.
At a strategic level, our development team will be instrumental in shaping the product direction and will be actively involved in defining key product features that impact the business. The solution entails building features from scratch for all aspects of the business ranging from inventory planning and procurement to customer and seller experience on a brand new website.
- Design, implementation, and deployment of applications that impact the business with an emphasis on Payments, Customer Account Management, Merchant platform and e-Commerce website development.
- Expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
- Work extensively with cross-functional teams across Amazon's website, ecommerce and fulfillment platform on the design and development of core platform functionality
- Work with the business team and project managers to convert functional requirements into detailed technical specifications.
- Work with engineers both onsite and offsite to define technical tasks and build detailed implementation plans.
- Participate in and provide design inputs towards the Platform initiative for streamlining international expansions.
The ideal candidate will be a leader, builder and operator. He/she should be able to operate in a very fast paced environment where time to hit market is super critical. The leader needs to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience;
- 5+ years of Software Development experience;
- Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (C/C++ and/or Java on a UNIX or Linux platform)
- Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, test driven development
- Solid experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
- Software development experience in JSP, Spring, AWS, S3, SQS, building web services and highly scalable applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- Previous experience in designing low latency mobile applications.
- Experience in e-commerce and Deep hands-on technical expertise
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
- Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top