Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) powers the physical engine at the heart of Amazon. AFT builds and operates software, hardware, and the processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers that move billions of units of inventory, employ tens of thousands of people, and ensure that customers get what they want when promised. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well.
Our inventory management system is the authoritative source of information for billions of inventory units that Amazon holds in its Fulfillment Centers (FC), worldwide. As new inventory arrives at the FC, the system will route products to optimal locations within the FC based on space availability, customer demand and buying patterns. The system tracks the state of all items and their location, and will share the availability to upstream systems, to make the items sellable on the Amazon website. Based on a customer order, the system will reserve specific items and track them through various stages of order fulfillment, until the customer shipment departs the FC. This system monitors for discrepancies between virtual and physical states to measure the quality of our data and decisions. Finally, the inventory management system is responsible for tracking the costs associated with inventory transactions, so that Amazon can account for owned assets on behalf of retail owners and third party sellers, in real time.
As an engineer in Inventory Control, you will be challenged with building and driving innovative and scalable systems that manage Amazon inventory globally. You will build world-class bespoke financial software from the ground up to support Amazon's expanding global business. You will be empowered to think big, invent on behalf of our customers, make judgment calls and find elegant solutions to hard problems. The world is changing fast and this is a dynamic role where you will be able to learn as much as you contribute.
- Participate in the design, implementation, and deployment of successful internet-scale systems and services in support of our fulfillment operations and the businesses they support.
- Participate in the definition of secure, scalable, and low-latency services and efficient physical processes.
- Work in expert cross-functional teams delivering on demanding projects.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Share knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once to be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various Amazon teams. If you are successful in passing through the initial application review and assessment, you will be asked to submit your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us