Software Development Engineer in Test
- Seattle, WA
The Ask team owns customer Q&A features on Detail Pages and other ingresses in the Amazon Retail ecosystem. Our goal is to help answer customer questions as fast as possible. We employ lean agile development and work in two-week iterations and ship code daily. We hate building stuff that customers don't want, so before we invest in large production systems we quickly validate our hypotheses with small tests. When we do build out systems for scale, they must handle a blistering number of transactions per second. We take pride in owning our entire code stack, from how fast our templates render in the customer's browser through to our service layer and down to the underlying data model. We are a diverse team from a variety of backgrounds and interests who love dreaming up, validating, and shipping features that deliver big customer impact.
As a Software Development Engineer in Test on our team, you will be leading test automation and infrastructure development, and driving automated testing and best practice improvements across our stack (front-end to back-end), giving you an opportunity for broad learning and impact. You will be working directly with Developers, UX Designers, and Product Managers to ensure quality development and quality of our features and systems. You will advocate for our customers, provide comprehensive testing solutions, and play a key role creating successful and reliable products and platforms.
Our organization has a strong culture of placing importance in development and career growth, and personal support and wellbeing, with a series of activities, processes, and experiments designed to make our org an awesome place to work. These include simplified internal transfers, transparent promos, learning series, career days, recognition programs, a sounding board program, mentorship programs, and Ask Us Anything hours.
Our team has experience helping employees explore alternative career paths like transitioning from SDET to SDE. We have a track record of success with this and are open to hiring SDETs that are interested in exploring such career transitions in the future.
• 2+ years experience helping build production software systems
• A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals (based on a Bachelors or Masters of Science in CS or related field)
• Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Python
• Demonstrated experience in at least one of the following: test automation, refactoring code, test-driven development, build infrastructure, optimizing software, debugging, building tools and testing frameworks
• Preferred Qualifications
• Demonstrated experience in an SDET role with strong knowledge of QA methodology, test strategy and test planning.
• Coding experience with automated testing frameworks, tools, services, and physical devices
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
• Passion for fostering excellence in customer facing features, and passion for finding ways to make development processes more efficient in order to deliver more value to customer
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top