We are looking for exceptional Software Development Engineers to join us at our Herndon, VA location to build the next generation of the AWS Direct Connect service. This position will be responsible for designing, developing, and supporting the AWS Direct Connect service (https://aws.amazon.com/directconnect/ )
First, a bit of background:
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and networking services that help organizations move faster, lower IT costs, and scale applications. Our services are trusted by the largest enterprises and the hottest startups to power a wide variety of workloads.
The AWS Direct Connect team delivers solutions that make it easy for customers to establish a dedicated network connection from their premises to the AWS cloud. These connections help to reduce network costs, increase bandwidth throughput, and provide a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections. AWS Direct Connect is currently available in more than 100 locations located in 28 countries.
AWS gives its engineers a tremendous amount of responsibility and empowers them to do whatever it takes to meet customer needs. The AWS Direct team needs an engineer that is passionate about owning new services and features while keeping a high bar for quality deliverables. We deliver cutting edge solutions utilizing the latest technology. We embrace experimentation and encourage curiosity, there is no status quo since it is always Day 1 at Amazon.
AWS operates at very large scale on critical customer workloads, so a passion for operational excellence is essential. Candidates must be comfortable working within a fast-moving startup environment and be eager to embrace ownership and accountability.
For detailed info regarding Direct Connect visit:
For more information on Amazon Web Services please visit: http://aws.amazon.com/
• Design and implement long-term solutions for AWS Direct Connect
• Focus on impactful changes that will improve customer experience
• Development and operate low-latency, high-availability services
• Mentoring and coaching performance management for a best-in-class engineering team
• Ownership and continuous improvement for the team's software stack
• Drive innovation on behalf of our customers
• Execute against project plans and delivery commitments
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• BS/BA, in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 7+ years of professional software development experience
• 5+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 4+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems
• Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
• 10+ years developing software solutions in large scale (over 10,000 users) global environments
• 5+ years of experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems
• Deep experience in at least one modern programming language such as C, C++, C# or Java and mastery of object-oriented design and programming
• Strong understanding of system and application performance characteristics in a cloud environment.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with Software Defined Networking
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role