Software Development Engineer III
- Austin, TX
Outbound Marketing's mission is to generate personalized marketing messages that deliver delightful customer experiences; from helping customers fulfill a shopping mission to driving upper funnel awareness and discovery across Amazon's growing set of services and product offerings. Our team runs one of the world's largest digital marketing program. We are responsible for the experimentation and automation of successful marketing strategies that generate immediate and long-term value for Amazon. We also own tooling and rendering infrastructure for all marketing messages, including those that are generated externally and manually. Our systems generate tens of billions of messages per year that are sent to customers in over 15 countries.
Your mission, if you choose to accept is to be the technical lead in helping us build the best-in-class messaging experiences that customers find engaging and useful in helping them navigate their journey with Amazon.We are looking for a highly-motivated and enthusiastic senior software development engineer. You will be joining a fast growing, quickly evolving customer experience team, so the ability to technically lead team's design decisions is critical. We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer who is not only a champion of Operational and Engineering Excellence but someone who is hands-on and leads by example. You are a thought leader who wants to disrupt our approach to marketing to raise the bar on customer experience and innovation. You are able to operate in a fast-paced and dynamic environment where delivering results of high quality with low operational impact is super critical. You pride yourself in diving deep and strongly collaborating with product managers to solve hard, customer facing problems. You have strong business and technical judgment that enables you to make effective decisions about technology choices.
The engineer in this role will lead and mentor their team and drive the design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of technologies to support our goals. Seeing your solutions ship, scale and make a measurable impact on customers' lives fuels you. All while having fun. If you have the programming chops, the leadership skills, the business savvy, and a passion for customers then this role is for you.
You will play an instrumental role in shaping the product direction and will be actively involved in defining key product features that impact the business. In this role, you will work with Senior and Principal Engineers to evolve the design and architecture of the products owned by our team. You will be responsible to set up and hold a high bar for software quality besides providing direction to a highly technical team of software engineers.
• Work closely with senior engineers to design, implement and deploy applications that impact the Amazon Outbound Marketing Communication with an emphasis on improvement in Outbound Marketing Business and System Health metrics
• Own the delivery of an integral piece of a system or application.
• Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
• Assist directly and indirectly in the continual hiring and development of technical talent.
• Create and execute appropriate quality plans, project plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with business and project management efforts.
• Integrate with Amazon's world-class service-oriented infrastructure
• Introduce new technologies, techniques and ideas that will immediately be proven in the world's largest consumer marketplace
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field with 7+ years relevant work experience
• Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field with 5+ years relevant work experience
• Experience in design and coding in OO languages like Java or C++
• Familiarity with scripting languages and an understanding of Agile environments.
Master's degree in Computer Science with 6+ years of relevant work experience
• Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Experience with Java, Spring MVC
• Be highly innovative, flexible and self-directed
Back to top