Software Development Engineer II - Minneapolis
- Minneapolis, MN
Come change the way the world sees the Cloud!
You're a Software Development Engineer (SDE). Your time is limited and in demand. Rather than poring over hundreds of job descriptions, you'd rather just get to the part where you solve highly-complex problems, build environments to handle massive scale, develop thoughtful and elegant code, and partner with super smart teammates to deliver game-changing products and services.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once and be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various AWS teams. If you are successful in passing through the virtual interview and assessment, you will be asked to provide your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
At Amazon Web Services, we run one of the largest networks in the world. We are taking all the industry trends and blending them into the critical foundation of utility computing: the network. Our goal is to become the infrastructure platform for the world and our team will make the bones of the platform "the network", work flawlessly. Not only supporting Amazon.com at the global level, but amazing global companies. (http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/all/).
Amazon Networking Security is looking for software engineers to build software platforms to increase security and significantly improve visibility into the management of Amazon's global network. Our goal is to eliminate human intervention and errors from network engineering by building tools and systems to secure a large number of heterogeneous devices in dozens of data centers across the world. In this role some of the responsibilities include and are not limited to:
• Solve complex problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices
• Focus on a major portion of existing or new team software, including large or significant component, set of features, mid-size application or service
• Work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant
• Balance customer requirements with team requirements.
• Participate in the code review process, design discussions, team planning, and ticket/metric/COE reviews
• Write code, take on projects and make software enhancements that improve team software and processes.
• Train new team-mates on how your team's software is constructed, how it operates, how secure it is, and how it fits into the bigger picture.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our teams are co-located in the Minneapolis office location (MSP12), but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. Some teams meet twice per week in the office and others generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of the SDE come in earlier and the other half of us stay later. Due to the evolving COVID-19 environment, US-based Amazon corporate employees have the option to work from home through June 30th, 2021. Until our organization safely returns to the office (this date will be determined and communicated by your manager).
The positions involve some on-call responsibilities, typically each team follows a standard process to limit the on-call requirement to a minimal. One average some of the teams follow one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our teams are dedicated to supporting new team members. Our teams have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our teams are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes we do get to build a really cool service, but we also think a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day. We're looking for new teammates who are enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; engineers who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Experience with driving a subsystem or product to completion
• Excellent software development skills, preferably in Python or Perl with Java, C/C++, Ruby acceptable as a substitute
• Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development team with continuous integration (CI), continuous deployment and test driven development (TDD)
• Problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to apply design patterns to common software problems that are maintainable at scale
• Knowledge of and previous development experience in a Linux or UNIX environment with a good understanding of networking concepts
• Computer Science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms and deftness at object-oriented design and systems architecture
• Experience with SOA design principles include orchestration and RESTful Interface definition
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us LNKPOP
Back to top