Software Development Engineer II - DC Systems (Denver)
- Denver, CO
Come change the way the world sees the Cloud!
You're a Software Development Engineer (SDE). Your time is limited and in demand. Rather than poring over hundreds of job descriptions, you'd rather just get to the part where you solve highly-complex problems, build environments to handle massive scale, develop thoughtful and elegant code, and partner with super smart teammates to deliver game-changing products and services.
By submitting your application here, you can apply once and be considered for multiple Software Engineer openings across various AWS teams. If you are successful in passing through the virtual interview and assessment, you will be asked to provide your career and personal preferences so that our dedicated recruiters can match you to the right role based on these preferences.
These SDE openings span across the following AWS team; Infrastructure Services, and Data Center Services.These teams are looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer to build next generation data acquisition and monitoring software for our data centers. If you are an experienced software developer interested in defining and delivering new services to help fuel the explosive growth of AWS then this is the job for you.
These Software Development Engineers are a significant and autonomous contributors and have the opportunity to positively impact millions of customer's experience. Additional responsibilities are and not limited to:
• Develop tools and services to automate data center operations
• Have end-to-end ownership of projects and work closely with our internal customers
• Drive operational excellence and work on full stack of the technology (i.e. UI, middle-tier, back end database)
• Use available AWS related technology to build innovation solution to challenging problems
• Solve complex problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices.
• Work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant. You write code that an SDE unfamiliar with the system can understand.
• Take on projects and make software enhancements that improve team software and processes.
• Work to resolve the root cause of complex problems, leaving software better and easier to maintain than when you found it.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our teams are co-located in the Denver office locations (DEN17), but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. Some teams meet twice per week in the office and others generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of the SDE come in earlier and the other half of us stay later.
Due to the evolving COVID-19 environment, US-based Amazon corporate employees have the option to work from home through June 30th, 2021. Until our organization safely returns to the office (this date will be determined and communicated by your manager).
The positions involve some on-call responsibilities, typically each team follows a standard process to limit the on-call requirement to a minimal. One average some of the teams follow one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our teams are dedicated to supporting new team members. Our teams have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our teams are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes we do get to build a really cool service, but we also think a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day. We're looking for new teammates who are enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; engineers who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java,
C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design
(architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current
• Experience with the Linux operating system and user-level tools
• Experience in shell scripting and Agile/Scrum framework / methodologies
• Experience in designing and implementing scalable, reliable, distributed software systems
• Experience using AWS services
• Understanding of software and system security
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
For employees based in Colorado, this position starts at a minimum base salary of $140,700/yr. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. For more information regarding Amazon benefits and paid time off, please visit below links. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Back to top