Software Development Engineer II
- Newark, NJ
You are an innovative and passionate top software engineer looking to make a positive impact on customer experience. You like to own deliverables end-to-end and have a meaningful influence on the final product. You are a builder. You like to work with fellow engineers and product people to share knowledge, imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers. You're curious and love to learn unprompted as you stay up to date with tools, trends, technologies and best practices in the industry. Please don't hesitate to apply!
HOW DOES AMAZON FIT IN?
We're a strategic and growing part of Amazon, our parent company. Audible's built on Amazon technology and you'll have insight into the inner workings of the world's leading ecommerce experience. You'll get to play with all of Amazon's and AWS technologies. There's a LOT to learn! Your career will benefit from working with teams like Kindle, A9, P13N and many more.
If you want to own and solve problems, work with a creative dynamic team, fail fast in a supportive environment whilst growing your career and working on high volume (2000+ tps) services that support millions of customers worldwide, we want to hear from you.
Come and be part of a great Audible team in Newark! We take learning, innovation, and teamwork to the next level to accomplish superior results. We are a team that cares about your work-life balance and harmony, while challenging you to solve problems at Amazon scale. You will be part of a strong agile team where innovation and inventions are encouraged. You will have broad visibility and direct access to product, business, and tech leadership teams. You will build software that will improve people's lives and experience with Audible, where inspiring voices bring stories, ideas, and characters to life.
• Partner with cross-functional teams to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that impacts our community and inspires your peers.
• Set the technical direction and strategy within a team and strategize to influence technology across Audible and beyond.
• Work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant.
• Proficient in a broad range of design approaches and know when it is appropriate to use each.
• Solve difficult problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors, demonstrating sound judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
• Capable of independently clarifying technical requirements, developing coding estimates and applying a broad range of design approaches to bring innovative solutions to the table.
• Review code of other team members and provide constructive direction.
• Constantly strive to raise the bar on engineering excellence
• Drive continuous improvement of software quality, CX and maintainability of products/features.
• Lead the way - staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon and then sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community
• Mentor and lead developers by cultivating curiosity and deep technical understanding.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
• Able to write code that an SDE unfamiliar with the software can understand.
• Able to provide a code review. Able to assess an existing software application and correctly identify where enhancements may be made to improve it. Able to identify and resolve the root cause of software defects.
• Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to navigate highly complex and ambiguous situations.
• Past mentorship of other engineers within an organization, showing mutual growth.
• Experience building software systems that have been successfully delivered to internal or external customers.
• Great communication skills - ability to think creatively and adapt the message to the audience. Can provide information to technical and non-technical stakeholders alike and guide them to confidently informed decisions.
• A high-quality bar: just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment. Enthusiasm for instilling this attitude in others.
• Adaptable, enterprising, and willing to take ownership.
• Able to design, implement, and deploy software components and features, and solve difficult problems.
• Maintain a solid understanding of design approaches (and how to best use them).
• Able to work independently and with your team to deliver software successfully.
• Able to consistently produce high quality software (e.g., secure, testable, maintainable, low-defects, efficient, etc.), which incorporates best practices.
• Able to constructively identify problems and propose solutions, taking on projects that improve the team's software, making it better and easier to maintain.
• Able to make improvements to the team's development and testing processes.
• Able to establish good working relationships with peers. Able to recognize discordant views and take part in constructive dialogue to resolve them.
• Able to confidently train new team-mates about your customers, what the team's software does, how it is constructed, tested, operates, and how it fits into the bigger picture.
• Knowledgeable about a broad range of design approaches and when to use them (and when to not)
• Understand the legacy of coding decisions. Know when a short-term workaround is a problem and when to limit this type of solution and the implications of adding new dependencies.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top