Software Development Engineer II
- Seattle, WA
Ordering is at the heart of Amazon's shopping and fulfillment experience. It provides engineers with a unique opportunity to make a huge impact on the business, build a cool platform and grow their careers! Did you know that the original Dynamo key-value store, Herd (the workflow engine used by 400+ teams), and Matrix (large document storage solution used by 50+ teams) were are all built by Ordering?
The Ordering Workflow team processes orders after they are placed, delighting customers more than 25MM times every day, and supports most of Amazon's businesses, including Fresh, Prime Now, 3rd party, and retail. It orchestrates core Amazon systems including fulfillment, payment, fraud and accounting.
To support new business requirements like one-hour Prime Now delivery, same-day Prime Delivery, and even delivery within minutes or seconds, we are moving today's hard-coded order processing workflows to a rule-based, data-driven framework. This will give businesses the flexibility to customize workflows by manipulating 'blocks', which will open the door for additional innovations like WeChat payment, product substitution, and seamless digital fulfillment.
The Ordering Workflow team can also have a large impact on the company's bottom line. For example, identifying and reducing or eliminating Amazon-induced order cancellations is itself is worth over $1B today. Further improvements to the Payments processing "block" has potential to save Amazon hundreds of millions of dollars per year. For a tight margin business like ours, these are significant numbers. This is the type of business impact you can have with Blocks.
In the last 5 years Ordering has internally promoted two principals and dozens of senior engineers, and has a 30% senior SDE ratio. The impact and technical depth of the projects we work on provide ample opportunities for growth and technical skills development.
Tired of night pages? Ordering has dedicated night page support and embedded local support engineers to minimize SDE operations support so that you can focus on the design and implementation for the next-generation services.
It is a great time to join us and be part of this challenging and rewarding journey!
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to all parts of the software development and deployment life-cycle, including design, development, documentation, testing and operations. They must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast paced environment. They need to enjoy working closely with their peers in a high-performing group of very smart and talented engineers.
We're looking for smart people who can get things done. The ideal candidate has a range of experience solving different engineering problems across the full tech stack.
- Bachelors or Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- 3+ years experience in Java, C++ or C# (expert in at least one)
- 3+ years in Data Structures and Algorithms
- Expertise applying Object Oriented design patterns and concepts
- Good understanding of networking concepts
- Good understanding of database applications
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Obsession with quality and customer experience - Attention to detail coupled with ability to think abstract
- Experience with building high throughput, distributed and scalable systems
- Experience building and maintaining services in UNIX or Linux environments.
- Experience with building services using the SaaS model
- Experience working in large scale Service Oriented Architecture environments.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top