Software Development Engineer II
- Seattle, WA
You are part of a team of software developers and other technologists. You are an innovator and excel in an ambiguous environment. You love starting on an ambiguous problem and carrying it through to fruition. You deliver quickly, but never lose sight of the greater architectural goals and move the team further towards them with every incremental launch. You build the hardest thing first to de-risk the project and solving only what we need to right now, but always keep the big picture in mind. You like it when the stakes are high and your work has a significant impact. You dive deep to understand how systems perform for all our customers, and then invent on their behalf. You participate in setting the standard for quality in the development team. Your solutions are scalable, robust, and elegant. You value creating simple solutions for complex problems see how these are the most difficult engineering challenges.
You know that amazing results come from your smart, creative, empathic teammates. You actively participate in improving the team culture every day. You foster inclusion and believe giving feedback with genuine caring is how the team grows together. Your team is stronger with you in it because you make those around you better while never making them feel less.
What you'll do as Software Development Engineer, Media Delivery Team
You will join a team of dedicated engineers whose systems deliver all images and other static content across multiple Amazon websites. You will be creating and maintaining the team culture, setting our quality bar, engineering best practices, and norms. Delivering iteratively on projects that really matter and earning trust with your team will be the primary ways you measure your own success. Recognizing that there's often more to learn from failure than success, you'll experiment constantly. You will build backend systems using a range of languages (Rust, Varnish, C++, Java, Python) running at a scale that is hard to find anywhere but Amazon. You will be innovating in image rendering, compression, Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) and Compute at Edge technology. You will architect, code and build scalable systems, and know that if a challenge is not a little scary, it's probably not worth doing.
• 3+ years professional experience in software development.
• Experience building distributed systems
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented programming , data structures, algorithm usage, and problem solving.
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, Rust, Python, Scala, Ruby, C#, etc.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices
• Proven ability to mentor and grow junior engineers
• Willingness to own all stages of development process: design, testing, implementation, operational support
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top