Software Development Engineer II
- Seattle, WA
"WARNING: Choking Hazard - small parts. Not for children under 3 years."
"WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including antimony trioxide, which are known to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm."
Have you ever seen these warning labels on popular and seemingly innocent products, such as fidget spinners or food containers? As the Buyer Safety Experience team for Amazon.com, we aim to raise the bar when it comes to educating and empowering consumers about product safety. Our team is responsible for the complete end-to-end safety experience for buyers - from the warnings you see on the product detail pages (and how to turn them into useful, actionable information), to making safer product recommendations targeted to each individual consumer's needs, to informing consumers of recalled products and preventing them from being delivered to their doorstep.
As a founding member of this brand-new team, you'll be able to build the groundwork and influence its direction for the years to come. Our work cuts across various disciplines - from delivering an awesome user experience via great UI/UX, to building massively scalable backend systems to support the most high-traffic pages on Amazon.com, to analytical and feedback systems which give us data-driven customer insights, to using machine learning to influence recommendations and marketing. If you have a passion for consumer-facing applications, and are obsessed with customer experience, we want you!
In this role you will:
• Help define the system architecture, own and implement specific components, and help shape the overall experience
• Collaborate closely with UX designers, and other SDE team members to help define the scope of the product
• As an early team member, take responsibility for technical problem solving, creatively meeting product objectives, and developing best practices
• Demonstrate cross-functional resource interaction to accomplish your goals
• Design and develop MVC based web applications
• Write high-quality, efficient, testable code in Java and other object-oriented languages
• Design Amazon-scale tools to facilitate internal business
• Build highly available, secure, and low-latency systems
• Mentor other developers.
• Find out what it takes to engineer systems for "Amazon Scale".
• Design and build Micro services
• Own and operate the systems that you build based on real-time customer data and demanding service-level agreements.
• Contribute to planning, design, implementation, testing, operations, and process improvement as a member of a Scrum team.
Software Development Engineers will be responsible for design, development, delivery and support of large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software applications and tools.
• Have a Bachelor in Computer Science Engineering or related field.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Possess a sound understanding of areas in the basic areas of Computer Science such as Algorithms, Data Structures, Object Oriented Design, Databases.
• Be able to write Amazon quality code in an object oriented language - preferably in Java in a Linux environment.
• Candidate must have good written and oral communication skills, be a fast learner and have the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment.
• Deep knowledge of distributed systems, asynchronous architectures.
• Able to work in a diverse team
• MS in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Background in distributed computing, service-oriented architectures and enterprise-wide systems.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers.
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team.
• Full stack experience ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Exposure to Machine Learning/deep learning projects
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success and we make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Back to top