Software Development Engineer II
- Seattle, WA
Do you have a passion for designing and building highly scalable distributed systems software?
Do you want to be involved in the future of cloud computing?
Would you like to work across teams to build and operate large scale systems and contribute both technically and as a leader of the team?
The Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) VPC team is looking for software engineers who have a passion for diving deep while also being able to see the big picture. We are re-engineering our virtual networking control plane as part of Amazon's initiative to get EC2 performance to be as close as possible to that of bare metal. Such a software engineer would be part of the team responsible for building and scaling up the high-performance software required to process thousands of customer VPC updates every second. These updates span 10+ million VPC networks and 100's of millions of elastic network interfaces.
If you are a Software Engineer with a strong coding background and a passion for system software then this is your opportunity to own major deliverables and all aspects of the development cycle: scoping, design, implementation, and testing. You will be encouraged to exercise your judgment in proactively determining and recommending the best features, designs, and support models based on business objectives, timelines, and resource constraints.
What makes this team a great place to work?
• Core VPC Team - Our services underpin the fabric of the EC2 cloud. You have the opportunity to make a large impact and drive the road map for the Amazon cloud.
• Build from the Ground up - You will have the opportunity to build new cloud services from the ground up for emerging initiatives.
• Direct Customer Contact The Amazon way is to maintain and enhance what you build. This gives you the opportunity to work directly with customers to understand and guide their needs.
• Scale New Heights - Scale New Heights - With the growth in cloud computing, our services must meet the challenges of solving hard, complex problems and scaling to meet ever-increasing demands.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.]
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Here are few links which talk more about the space:
Evolution of Amazon EC2 virtualization
Here are the problems we are trying to solve in the VPC world
Want to know the fundamentals of EC2 VPC?
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Solid understanding of system software, software architecture, data structures and algorithms, object oriented design patterns
• Experience working on Unix/Linux networking stack and TCP/IP network protocols
• Experience working on low level programming languages such as C or C++
• Experience with at least one scripting language - Perl/Ruby/Python/Shell
• Experience with developer tools, SDKs/IDEs
• Passion for delivering great customer experience, taking end to end ownership of tasks and delivering results with high quality
• Proven ability to juggle multiple, competing priorities, deal with ambiguity and make things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Back to top