Software Development Engineer, Ice Team (Buckeye)
Your job will be to take Amazon's massive infrastructure, make it run as lean and efficiently as possible, all while enabling the company to stay on the bleeding edge of growth and innovation. As a member of Amazon's ICE Team (Innovation-Conversion-Efficiency), you will be focused on automating best practices, streamlining deployment processes, and building systems to uphold coding standards. The Ice Team is a block of three software development programs each with an independent focus: Innovation, Conversion, and Efficiency. The Innovation Team is focused on maintaining Amazon's agility while continuing to hire engineers at an exponential rate. Conversion is driving teams to eliminate dependencies on relational databases. Efficiency is building software controls to reduce Infrastructure Market Rate (IMR) using detective and preventive mechanisms that integrate with hardware provisioning. Working with our stakeholders, Consumer Leadership Team (CLT), and customers (development teams that support the Retail Website) we establish goals optimize technical growth, improve availability, and reduce costs.
The Consumer Efficiency Team is looking for a strong, senior software development engineer to build the systems and tools to support our efficiency program and drive continuous technology improvements across the company. This energetic candidate will help us "get better together" by instilling engineering efficiencies through educating and rewarding teams on how to incorporate best practices into their daily work. Working alongside your peers and technologists across the company, you will partner to deep dive and understand what's hard about operating efficiently in Amazon's unique environment. The systems you build will influence the operations of hundreds of teams and thousands of services.
You will have the sponsorship you need from the Consumer organization to identify potential efficiency improvements in all facets of technology including: using up to date tools and the latest hardware and services; reducing waste; simplifying architecture and optimizing service performance. Supported by a talented software development team you will build a centralized list of prioritized efforts with the long term objective of improving Amazon's ability to "Detect and Analyze" potential efficiency opportunities quickly through self-diagnosing profiling tools and continuously drive improvement through monitoring and tracking.
You will lead all phases of software development to build services to support our goal. Your systems will drive service and product efficiency opportunities, from idea generation to scoping, to strategy building and ultimately automation for self- monitoring, self-diagnosing and self-healing solutions. As the successful candidate, you will be a rock star developer, be data driven and have the ability to creatively deal with ambiguity, and juggle cross-organization complexity. You will also have the leadership skills to influence your peers to build strong, scalable, and resilient systems. If you are interested in making a difference, come join our team. We've been waiting for you!
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
- 2+ years professional experience in software development
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Perl
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Expert at identifying optimization opportunities in other people's software
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top