Opportunity to work on and make a difference in database systems specifically catered to support graph databases. This is a unique opportunity to apply your software engineering skills and databases background to build and apply new techniques towards query planning, optimization and execution. Your work will directly impact the performance of the queries that our customers run on Neptune. This unique opportunity gives you a chance to work with and learn from experts in the field of databases, graph technologies and semantic web. In addition, you gain the exposure to learn about other related AWS services.
Amazon Neptune is a fast, scalable, fully managed graph database service, already used by thousands of customers around the globe. Neptune powers graph use cases such as recommendation engines, fraud prevention, knowledge graphs, drug discovery, and many more. The core of Amazon Neptune is a purpose-built, high-performance graph database engine optimized for storing hundreds of billions of relationships and querying with milliseconds latency, allowing you to easily build queries that efficiently navigate highly connected datasets. Our team is constantly improving query performance and adding new features to make all these use cases run increasingly better and to create more impact for our customers.
Your job duties would include:
1. Design and develop query planning features required to expand the current features for existing and new query languages
2. Learn about customer pain points with regards to query execution performance and understand the system bottlenecks.
3. Propose and implement long-term solutions to improve query planning to resolve performance issues
4. Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback to peers
This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor in the emerging and fast growing space of graph databases, shaping the future of the industry. To learn more about Amazon Neptune visit: https://aws.amazon.com/neptune/
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• Strong Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, problem solving, complexity analysis, and object-oriented design
• Familiarity with database management systems
• Familiarity with query optimization and planning problems
• Knowledge of graph query languages (e.g., SPARQL, Apache TinkerPop Gremlin)
• Experience with query optimization and planning problems
• Experience working on database technologies
• Experience developing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Experience building and running software in a cloud environment
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management as needed throughout the development lifecycle
• Experience to work in a diverse, international team, including with peer teams in distant zones
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, see https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.